*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2268264-Thoughts-of-Freedom
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2268264
A young musician realizes her peril
Thoughts of Freedom




"Don't you ignore me, you little ..." snarled Jarla, aiming a backhand at the girl's ear. The woman discovered early on how sensitive Lyryk's ears were to a slap or pinch. After not being quick enough the first handful of times it happened, the young musician learned to listen for the music in her head that warned her the evil woman was near.

For as long as the young half-elf could remember, music had guided her thoughts. Even though Jarla called her "Kyreah," she had always called herself "Lyryk Starsong." At twelve, the girl was coming into her own, and she could sense the change in the older woman's demeanor whenever she knew Lyryk was near.

The older half-elf claimed to be Lyryk's "mother," but the girl could see no resemblance between her and the woman. Jarla wore a permanent sneer that marred her otherwise pretty face. Well, that and years of hating the world because she was born poor and couldn't figure out how to make an honest living.

That night, the troupe was evicted from yet one more village for their crimes. Lyryk was surprised when the next town along the trade road welcomed them with open arms, as though their reputation hadn't preceded them. The music had a touch of magic, or not, depending on their reception by the townsfolk.

The girl knew her days were numbered. She had seen what Jarla did when her "children" got too old to do as told. "Accidents" resulted in mangled arms, missing fingers, and twisted legs among the young performers. They were left to fend for themselves.

Soon, thought the young half-elf, soon, I'll be able to escape this horrid woman.




© Copyright 2022 Just Jae (jaejaeme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2268264-Thoughts-of-Freedom