*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269013-The-Missing-Witness--Part-Four
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2269013
An Emmy Altman Mystery ~ A Detective, A Reporter, A Missing Witness, And A Mailed Purse!
The cops from Force Investigation were dour and methodical, listening to Emmy's description of the shooting without comments. The taller one started to ask, "So detective, ummm." Checking his notepad. "Altman, what exactly were you doing here—"

Hampton interrupted him. "She was doing her job; this was a suspects house, she was checking it out, ya know like a real detective does—"

"Easy, Barry." Holding a hand up. "We have to ask these questions." Shaking his head. "We gotta keep the review board happy." Nodding at Emmy. "And off Altman's back."

The first review cop continued his question. "So, Altman, why were you—"

This time Shorty interrupted. "We got what we need to know, Littleman." Looking down at Emmy. "This looks like a good shoot, Detective. Glad you're okay." He reached down to shake her hand.

Littleman huffed and turned away. "We're gonna look over the scene—

"Have fun, boys." Waving his right hand around, with a finger pointing out. "Remember, don't touch anything. This is my crime scene."

Shorty smiled at that. Littleman hmphed louder as they walked away.

"Sarge." The driver called from the doorway.

"Yeah, Ronzetti?"

"Chief of D's inbound, about five minutes out."

"Holy Shit!" Emmy was agitated at hearing that. "Who the hell else am I going to have to explain—"

"Settle down, Emmy." His voice was flinty. "Just stick with the truth you already told, no embellishments or adlibs."

This was all getting to be too much. "Yeah, the truth I already told, Sarge."

The Chief's driver popped out first and almost got to open the door for Barret Winslow, the Chief of Detectives. The driver had to jump back to avoid the door as it swung open. "I keep telling you, Harper, I can open a door and get out of a car on my own."

"Yes, Sir."

The door on the other side of the car opened and Detective Ralph Dominic emerged, chuckling at the scene he had seen repeated more than once, whenever he road along with Winslow. Once they were partners, then Winslow got promoted to Chief. Now Dominic mainly worked alone, not by choice. He had a hard time finding and keeping partners. Some never met his standards, and others couldn't stand working with the Chief of D's boy.

"Sargent Hampton, how is my detective?"

"She's fine, Chief, the perp fired a round and missed—"

That was news to Emmy. She didn't recall the perp firing at her.

"—Detective Altman returned fire and hit the intruder in his left shoulder, he's on his way to mercy now. He'll survive for trial."

"Has FI been here yet?"

"Yes, sir." Nodding towards the back of the house. "They're inspecting the scene now."

"Who—"

"Littleman and Shorty Rodgers"

Winslow snorted. "Littleman should be back in Traffic and Rodgers belongs back on my squad. Where's Altman now?"

"In the parlor, Chief." Leading the Chief into the room.

"Ralph, why don't you have a look around while I talk to my Detective."

"Sure thing, Bar—, Chief." "Yeah Sarge, I know, look but don't touch, this is your crime scene." Dominic laughed as he cut off the Sargent.

Hampton shot him a smile, "I see you have learned well, Dominic."

Dominic laughed again. "Yup, I learned not to piss you off, Sarge, a long time ago."

"Amen to that," muttered Winslow under his breath.

Emmy started to stand when Winslow walked into the room.

"As you were detective, sit please."

She was surprised when he sat down next to her on the couch. Emmy wasn't at all unhappy to remain sitting. Her legs seemed weak; facing the Chief and his questions as he towered over her had her on the verge of tears.

"How are you doing, Emmy." A gentle smile to match his tone.

"I'm okay—"

Winslow tilted his head to one side. "Really? You're not looking so good, Detective."

"Well, to be honest, Sir, I'm a bit shaky and a little scared now."

"Good, shooting somebody, even a perp, should be scary. We'll get you outta here as soon as we can."

Littleman and Shorty passed by the parlor on their way out the door. Winslow called out, "Rodgers, you two done with my Detective?"

Littleman started to answer, but Rodgers cut him off. "Yeah, Chief, we got all we need.

“Good, Altman let’s get you home.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Dominic was examining the door at the back of the house, scuff marks showed where the door had been kicked in. "Hey, Patty!" Calling out to the uniform tech taking prints. "Did you see the perp?"

"Yeah, he was still here when I got here. The EMTs were having trouble getting a line into 'em."

"Any idea how tall he was?"

"About five-nine, I'd say, hard to be exact, he was layin' down when I saw his sorry ass."

"Yeah, thanks. So about my height then?"

She smiled. "Yeah, pretty close. She watched, puzzled as he brought his leg up to the door. The scuff mark was well below his foot.

His turn to smile, The perp wasn't the door kicker, luckily the two FI turds had missed that. He continued the thought to himself. More likely Rodgers spotted it and kept it to himself. Good on him if he did.

Dominic walked back up front, Barret was rustling an RMP to get Emmy home. "Hey, Chief, why don't I drive Altman home in her car? I'll get an Uber home from there."

"That's okay." Rising shakily, Emmy just wanted to be alone. "I think I can drive. I'll be fine." Trying to sound strong.

"No, no." Shaking his head in unison with Sargent Hampton. "That's a bad idea, besides." Winslow smiled. "You can use the ride to get to know your new partner."

W/C 961
© Copyright 2022 Richard ~ Shenanigans INC. (brennus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269013-The-Missing-Witness--Part-Four