*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269136-The-Last-Act
by brom21
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #2269136
A brief action brought on by supernatural act may have alternate affects.
Herold rode along side of his companion and priest, Everet on their way to the kingdom of Crom. The path was lined pine and birch trees and made by a cleared-out path of grass. High hills in the distance were the towers of a castle.

The two stopped their horses and gazed at the structure in the bright sun of a blue sky.

“Soon we will see the Fairy folk,” said Herold with his short, blond hair ruffling in a light wind.

“And with it, we will share the gospel of Christ with the mystical beings,” said Everet, dressed in his brown tunic.

“If they forge objects of supernatural power, perhaps they will allow us to bring some of it back and prove to our people of their existence.”

“You are jumping too far ahead. We do not yet know they will even accept us immediately, and more importantly our message,” said Everet.

“But in your night vision, you were to bring the gospel to the Fairyfolk.”

“Yes, but the messenger in my vision did not say we would not encounter obstacles their. They may think the miracles of our Lord and Savior as nothing more than the powers they have themselves.”

“I think even returning from the dead is something even they cannot do,” said Herold.

“We shall see.”

They continued along the path and began the light incline of the hill. Soon they came to a large semi-circular courtyard bordered by stone pillars. Along the flat side, was a wide gate with what appeared to be made of pearls.

Everet looked past the gate at figure in armor and a silver visored helm that reflected the sun. He looked with wide eyes and approached the two strangers. “Are you what is known as mankind?”

“You have heard of us?” asked Everet.

“So you are then,” said the Fairyperson. He took off his helmet. I am Trophimus, guard of Theria. Do you come in peace?”

“We do,” said Herold as he and Everet bowed.

“I Welcome you. Enter.” With a wave of his hand and there was the sound of a locking mechanism working. “My name is Terinth,” he said as the gate opened by itself.

“I am Everet, this is my companion Herold. We come here with message.”

“Let me take you to King Arius,” said Terinth as he led them in the middle of two walls.

“The way we understand mankind is through the idea that we Fairy came from a human ancestor many years ago. In essence we are of the same bloodline,” said Terinth as he and his two guests walked up a pair of shallow steps.

Terinth stopped. “Wait here until I come back.” The guard entered through as small iron door and closed it.

“This is the essence of perfection and grandeur, is it not!” said Herold, looking at the high decked edifice of the castle and the high towers.

“It is not. These people are fallen, mortal beings as we are. Our message is one of repentance and forgiveness. Why else would we have been sent?”

Herold thought. “That is true.”

Terinth came back out and smiled. “His majesty is pleased to meet you! Come in.”

Within the stronghold, a wide hall with immense chandeliers that floated in the air was under a vaulted ceiling. Pillars decked with glistening jewels supported the roof.

On an elevated ivory throne, sat a man with a white beard. He rose and went to Everet and Herold. “I am most delighted to see living relics! My guard said you come bearing a message. I am most curious.”

Everet collected his thoughts to begin. “It is true that you are mortal like us your majesty, correct?”

“What creatures are not?”

“What do you believe when a person dies?” said Everet.

King Arius folded his hands. “We suppose it goes back to the Earth as it decays.”

“We bring you hope, great king,” said Herold. My friend will explain.”

All the guards within speaking range, looked upon Everet. “A thousand years ago, the God who made the Earth, gave his Son to Earth to die and pay for sin which brought death to all beings in both our realms. And in faith all who believe will live forever with God without sin.”

King Arius stood as a tear came from his eye, touched buy the words of the priest. “I believe you. I do not know why.”

Suddenly the ground quaked and a reptilian creature like a frog and a dragon combined broke through the wall behind the king’s throne.

“The Eskar! How did it come here!” cried the king.

The tall beast struck Harold with a long, barbed tongue. He fell grasping his chest.

“Please, priest, if you can, save us from it! Our powers have no affect on it!” said King Arius.

“I command you to yield to us I the name of God, foul beast!”

The tall beast, called the Eskar, shrieked and fell to its side.”

“All in the room were struck with how easily and quickly the ancient foe of the Fairy was subdued.

Everet ran to Herold and kneeled to say a prayer of healing.

“I am feeling better. But I think it will take some time to heal completely,” said Harold with a groan.

“I will heal him with the Fairy’s power,” said Arius.

“No, we must rely on God’s hand. Anything else would be a greivous shortcut.”

“Nay, my friend I give you my word.”

“No, using your enchantments will affect him like curse or it could do nothing. It will heal in time.”

King Arius waved his and an orb of azure light rested upon Herold. He thrashed and convulsed, foaming at the mouth.

Everet laid his hand on Harold’s forehead and he calmed.

“It should have worked.”

A female guard came in the midst of them. “It was a shortcut like he said, my Lord. "Taking a shortcut isn't always the fastest way to get there," she said.







© Copyright 2022 brom21 (ion_7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269136-The-Last-Act