*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269271-Karma-Hotel--Spirits-Loiter-for-a-Reason
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jester
Rated: E · Novel · Paranormal · #2269271
Ch. 1 Hoyt House The realtor badly wants to unload spooky Hoyt House. The Larson's move in

Chapter 1

Hoyt House


"This is a classic of old town NW Portland. Most Victorian homes in this area were hand-made around the turn of the 20th century. This is one of them," the realtor said. "It's been known as Hoyt House for decades." She paused to inhale and looked upward dreamily. "It holds the charm of the original builder."

It was a damp chilly July, not unusual for Portland though. Janet pulled a windbreaker over her shoulders as she approached the porch. "Where else can you find such attention to detail?" As a realtor, Janet clearly favored the old styles. "Hoyt House is a classic."

Knightbridge Realty was the fifth one to list Hoyt House. All the others gave up. It was just a bit too spooky. A few too many objects scooting around the kitchen. A few too many noises: audible steps, whispers from the basement, doors opening for no good reason.

Nevertheless, Janet kept hope alive: Where others have failed, I will succeed by unloading this old spook-house. I just hope and pray that nothing weird happens during the walkthrough.

But as prospective home buyers, the Larson's were wise enough to ask about matters other than charm. "Does that mean this house has turn of the 20th-century plumbing and electrical?", Bob asked.

"Ah, an important question." Janet was ready. "Both plumbing and electrical wiring has been updated and is up to code. Notice that all the old two-prong power outlets have been changed to be grounded. The kitchen plumbing fixtures as well."

She then led the Larson's into the kitchen. Lauren admired the old-style kitchen cabinet pulls.
"That's original hardware there." Janet remarked, "And notice the mother-of-pearl push button wall switches. Also original is the wood plank flooring. No tongue & groove here."

Bob approached the counter and closed the open knife drawer. As he did this the oven door opened just a bit. Janet caught sight of this and immediately re-directed his attention to the ceiling. "Notice the embossed copper sheeting on the ceiling."

Thankfully, Bob looked upward away from the oven. The ceiling was covered with copper sheathing embossed with a checkerboard pattern. "Reminds me of the old speak-easy rooms I read about. Many old homes still have artifacts from that era. Very fancy!"

Lauren pulled Bob through sliding glass paneled pocket doors into a formal dining room. Out of earshot now, "Bob! What do you think?"

He could feel her breath, almost panting with excitement. "Well. It's got, umm.... personality. It must have a long history." He looked around. "If only walls could talk...."

Lauren nodded eagerly. "I just love the old rhododendrons. And the old front porch railing with balusters." She pointed up. Notice those old- fashioned gutters held in place with wire attachments. They are still in use. Watch out, Bob. I just might be in love."

They returned to the kitchen full of new questions for Janet, now focused on her smartphone. Looking up, she noticed the knife drawer open again. Casually as possible she moseyed over to the knife drawer and shoved it closed with her hip. No big deal.

"OK. It looks like my wife is smitten. What kind of earnest money is required?"

Lauren looked at Bob: Oh you love me that much!

"$500 is customary. I have an escrow account for that." Janet paused and watched the Larson's mutually vacant stare. Are we really doing this?

"Will that be on a credit card or a check?"

"Uh. Yes, I'll use a check." Bob reached for his checkbook. "Who do I make it out for?"

"Knight Bridge Realty." Janet laid an earnest money receipt form on the kitchen counter.

Bob examined it. "What's this check box for? A waiver for uh.... results of paranormal phenomena?

Lot's of legalese here, Janet. I'm to hold Knightbridge Realty, its representatives, and the seller blameless for any trauma or financial losses as a result of paranormal phenomena in or around the house.

"For some of these old houses, it's a routine matter", Janet replied dismissively. "Many of them hold memories. Hoyt House is one, no doubt, with lots of history. It's as if the walls sometimes talk."

Bob felt an abdominal response, not a particularly comfortable one. What was it I've heard? 'Allow your gut to talk to you; what is it saying right now'? He decided that something was suspicious about the deal. And he questioned if that feeling was about the house or about the realtor.

"You mean this house may talk? This house is haunted?"

"Oh, I don't know. I think of Hoyt House as more charmed than haunted, you know what I mean. Little more than rumors, really." Nevertheless, Janet's shoulders quivered as she spoke.

"A real charmer, eh?" He was intrigued. "Well, that certainly adds spice to the deal."

"I'm just following legal advice, that's all. Just in case..."

"In case of what?", concerned now, Lauren pitched in.

"Oh, I've heard about sounds that can be heard, only once in a blue moon. Hardly worth mentioning." Janet replied nervously.

Lauren looked over to Bob. "Maybe we should spend a little time here first. Maybe hang out some." Lauren was definitely uncomfortable with things that were spooky. After all, Lauren reminded herself, I might end up living here. "The house must pass an inspection anyway."

"Of course. Whatever you like." Whatever it takes, Janet told herself.



Don't get me wrong, Lauren", Bob tried to explain, I genuinely like the house. It has... personality. It's Janet. I don't trust shiftiness. She's shifty for some reason."

"Yes. And she was quick to downplay any concerns about, uh weird stuff happening in this house."

"I agree. Let's spend some quality time here." The house was beginning to grow on him. Bob had been fascinated with the paranormal since he was young. Now, a house with spirits! The possibility of encountering them beckoned.

"Let's get Beny and Greta to inspect it tomorrow. How does that sound, Lauren?."

"Yeah, Beny. If a seven year-old boy feels safe here, that might tell us something."

"And it's well known that dogs can be psychic," Bob added.

"Hopefully Greta will warn us if she feels that the house is haunted." Characteristically, Lauren avoided such matters, being more creeped out than curious, unlike Bob. He tended to go beyond the "normal". He had hypnotherapy sessions with Margot Green, their best friend, and trained hypnotherapist. In time, he grew to embrace otherworldly phenomena. Hoyt House seemed a good fit, at least for him. Lauren chose to leave the second walk-through inspection to the rest of the family.

Beny was curious. "Hey Daddy, If a house is for sale does that mean no one lives in it?"

"Sometimes people sell a house while they live in it Beny, Bob explained. "But with this house, the actual owners live far away. So it is basically empty." That made little sense to a seven year-old, to own a house but not live in it.

Bob noticed the bumpy feel of the cobblestone road surface of NW Hoyt street, still in use after over a hundred years of wear and tear. Eager to check out their potential new home, Beny and Greta bounded up the steps leading to the porch at 927 NW Hoyt Street.

The realtor had agreed to leave the door unlocked for them, so Bob, Beny and Greta had instant access.

Tail wagging, Greta inspected each room. Ten minutes into the walk- through, Greta whined at Bob to get his attention. She lead him into the kitchen, which had doorways to both a bathroom and the basement. Greta started toward the basement door and looked back at him to see if he was paying attention.

He seldom does, Greta knew. Humans can be so slow to catch on, she moaned to herself. She pointed her muzzle toward the door. Down there, Bob, down there!

"Is there something you want me so see, Greta?"

She wagged an affirmative reply at him and muzzle-pointed downstairs again. So he descended the well-worn wooden steps with her into the musty-smelling brick lined basement. He flipped on the one solitary light. Although dimly lit, he could see the updated furnace, some storage rooms and what was once a workbench. It bore a collection of nicks and digs as evidence of hard use years ago.

Greta whined again at Bob and pointed her muzzle to the empty space. A sad person is here, Bob. I so wish you would listen to me.

"Well Greta, I don't know what you want me to see. Is it OK down here?"

Yes. Greta now pawed at his leg. A sad person is still here. But, if you're OK with it, then I am too.

By the time they returned to the kitchen Beny was there. "I thought you said that no one lived here."

"I did. There's no one here."

"No Daddy," Beny insisted.

Bob replied, "What do you mean by no?"

"I saw two grownups."

"Oh?" His curiosity stimulated now, Bob wanted more. "What can you tell me about them."

"The woman wears a very long dress. I waved at her but she ignored me."

"What about the other one?"

Beny pointed at a kitchen counter. "He was standing right over there."

"Were they scary?" Bob wanted more.

"Not really. They seemed to be busy."

"Did either one say anything?"

"Kind of." Beny tried to remember. "The man just mumbled a lot. He opened the oven too." Beny looked at his sneakers. "I don't think they want to talk much. And I never got close enough to touch them. Maybe they could become friends. But, they're not very friendly."

"Beny, you know how disturbed Mom gets when you talk about spirits." Beny nodded. "Yeah."

"So to not upset her, let's just keep this a secret between you and me."

"What about Greta? She saw them too."

"I agree. And Greta can keep the secret too."

So Bob and Beny kept their secrets. And Lauren got her dream home: Hoyt House.






© Copyright 2022 Jester (mejester at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269271-Karma-Hotel--Spirits-Loiter-for-a-Reason