*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269552-the-Assassination-of-Wyatt-Earp-2
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #2269552
the Assassination of Wyatt Earp (2) for What a Character" contest
The Assassination of Wild Bill Hitchcock

Word count 415


Sam Adams was a mercenary from the 23rd century and a time bandit outlaw. He worked for a private security firm that had contacts across all the multi-verses. Going back in time to change the past and thus the future was a huge crime and very profitable indeed.

His boss, the mysterious Maria Lee, rumored to be a secret alien from the planet Sirus who had contacts across the various intelligence agencies gave him assignments from time to time.

He had 24 hours to respond and a week to take the assignment. Usually, he went back as a gunslinger assassin and killed prominent people. He was the assassin that got both Kennedys – under a contract with the then CIA director, he also killed Jimmy Hoffa and Martin Luther King.

For this assignment, he was to go back in time and kill Wyatt Earp before the Ok Carol killing. His boss gave him the assignment as usual giving him an ambiguous reason for the assignment. For this one, he was merely told.

‘think of it this way. It could be worst. You could be told to go back and kill your great-great-grandfather, Wild Hitchcock and thus disappear from the timeline for good. “

Sam smiled as usual at her lame jokes. He believed that she had an alien sense of humor at times. He asked,

“Why today?”

“Wyatt Earp’s Birthday and you have an invite to the party in the bar in Deadwood, Just be careful not to shoot Wild Bill Hitchcock he will be there. Your justification and clue would be to accuse Wyatt of cheating at cards which as you know was considered a capital offense in the wild west.”

Sam went to his office and got his 19th century gunslinging uniform out. He put on a fake moustache and beard as part of his “look.” And a cowboy hat, and boots, and some 19th century dollars in his wallet. He also took his favorite fake ID identifying him as Sam Adams, undercover Pinkerton operative.

Sam went back to town and went to the bar and joined the gang in playing cards, drinking his favorite, Wyoming brand local whiskey. Someone stood up and accused Wild Bill of cheating. Sam jumped up and shot Wyatt Earp but someone else shot Wild Bill Hitchcock dead.

The shooter turned to him and said.

“Sorry, Sam nothing personnel but I have a contract on you too.”

And shot him. Thus ended Sam Adams’s career as a time-traveling outlaw.

Prompt


It could have been worst

Wyatt Earp’s Birthday – Born in Monmouth, Illinois in 1848, American frontiersman and marshal who participated in the gunfight at the OK Corral




One key part of writing is character development. There are many techniques available to assist writers in developing their characters so readers can connect and come away with a good understanding of the character and their motives. This contest explores those techniques.


Character Prompt for March 2022:

Write a story that puts a new spin on a cliched western character trope
(e.g., cowboy, gunslinger, outlaw, bounty hunter, sheriff, frontiersperson, homesteader, native, etc.)



The task is simple: Write a short story using the prompt above as inspiration.


Your entry must be:

Fiction.
Based on the prompt above. Your character should be well developed and integrated into the story narrative.
Rated 18+ or lower. Graphic content is not permitted, including GC or XGC items.
2,000 words or less. A word count must be included in the body of your item (top or bottom, not in the intro/header).
Newly written for this contest. Create your entry as a Static Item and keep it in your portfolio. Submit it using the survey form below.
Submitted One Time Only. You may only submit one entry, so make it a good one!
Edited Only Until the Deadline. Entries edited after the submission deadline may be disqualified from winning without notice.


The prizes are:

First Prize
$100.00 in Writing.Com Gift Points and an exclusive What A Character Merit Badge, both virtual and physical!
Second Prize
$50.00 in Writing.Com Gift Points and an exclusive What A Character Merit Badge, both virtual and physical!
Third Prize
$25.00 in Writing.Com Gift Points and an exclusive What A Character Merit Badge, both virtual and physical!


The submission deadline is: 11:59 pm EST, March 31, 2022

Results will be posted on or around: April 21, 2022
© Copyright 2022 JCosmos (jcosmos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269552-the-Assassination-of-Wyatt-Earp-2