*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269928-With-Help-Anything-was-Possible
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2269928
300 words; A superhero in training tries to fight a sentient cat head. Flash fiction.
Anaya raised her fist; a bow of green light pulled her through the cold ice air. Sparkles winked in green.

As a woman hidden within a lavender bodysuit, it was impossible to miss her. Yet, anything was possible.

A gray ball of fur zigzagged sporadically. It grew as it got closer to Anaya, its entirety a petrified face with no torso; a ghastly hue in animalistic eyes; maws stretched beyond ligaments; and a caked rug of pale dirt.

The head spoke, and the earth vibrated in response to her maw, "Existence is futile."

"I can tell," Anaya muttered, avoiding the sentient cat head.

It lurched suddenly, headbutting the heroine in-training through the stomach.

"Oof–"

She collided with a now-bent lamppost.

"That's it, woman," Anaya growled, raising a palm. "That's enough flying for today."

"I will eat you," its calm voice stated, comparable now to a dumpster. It's gaping orifice stank of putrid death.

Anaya screamed, her eyes burning a deep green.

"You're in trouble now," Beowolf whispered. Anaya opened her eyes.

Her lanky partner in spandex held the cat head in place with an enchanted chain. Beowolf turned and gave a grin.

"Where the hell were you?" Anaya said, trying to sound angry instead of exasperation.

"Not dead, that's where. Good question though." Beowolf said, before changing his grip, grunting, and swung the chain down.

The cat head plopped against a blue mailbox and deflated to the ground, immobile. Anaya rose to levitate and punched the air, blasting a ray of green turbulence at the disembodied rug.

"Is it detained? We need it detained," Beowolf said, changing his grip of the smoky chain.

"Death will come… for those who stall…"

"It still speaks," Anaya shrieked. She raised her fists.

"You're doing great, by the way," Beowolf whispered, loosening his grip.

© Copyright 2022 D. J. H. III (dopdop at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2269928-With-Help-Anything-was-Possible