*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270387-First-day-on-the-job
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2270387
The tale of a man who re-invent himself in a new career
*Greenwheels?

Yeah, I remember them. I had never tried a carsharing so, I guess I was a bit overexcited.

It had all started as I collected my luggage.

But only when I had managed to close the lid, I realized I didn’t have my car. It wasn’t… available.

I was aghast.

How could I forget such an important detail? I didn’t want to take the bus, with such a large luggage with me, it would have been… uncomfortable.

It was then I remembered having the app installed on my phone. So, I tried my luck and, Eureka! There was a car not so far away, ready to be used. I quickly booked it for most of the day, and then I went to collect it. Parking the car, I returned to the home where the luggage was but, as I lifted it, I could not suppress a groan escaping from my lips.

This thing was heavier than I had thought!

Yet, I didn’t’ stop. Never underestimate a man’s force of will!

Luckily, the car was parked close by and so I loaded it up with my luggage.

I was ready to go.

Soon, I left the city district and took the highway, thinking that it would have been faster this way. It was amazing, never having to stop for taxes, passing right through as everything was already included in the car’s fee. But, as I was almost at my destination, the weather began to turn against me.

Snow.

It had begun snowing. Heavily, at that.

I managed a couple kilometers more, before the car got stuck. I cursed but, lucky for me, I wasn’t so far away from the checkpoint I was supposed to reach. I was freezing when I reached the second car on foot.
Yet, as I was sitting in the driver’s seat, warming up, I realized that I hadn’t brought my luggage with me.

How could I be so stupid?

Hastily, I returned where I had left the car but, it wasn’t there. Scrambling through my phone I tried to locate it and then, I found it.

It’s GPS signal, at least.

So, I hurried there but, the car was empty. It lay there, beside a warehouse, completely emptied. I noticed with dismay that they had even tried to take away the seats. My luggage was a little to the side, completely open… and empty.

I didn’t care about the bag. Its content was what it interested me.

I sat there beside the mangled car for I don’t know how long, commiserating myself, my life and this damned job that I wasn’t used to do. Suddenly though, I heard a scream coming from within the warehouse.

A womanly shrill of fear.

I had to let out my rage on someone, or something, so, I gathered myself back and in I went, silently, trying to pass unnoticed as I went deeper into the warehouse. Then, behind a few tall crates, I saw them. Three thugs standing with not so amicable expressions, as they cornered a young, pretty thing back into a dead end.

She screamed, calling for help but, they just laughed.

They knew that, this far away from the main road nobody would have heard her.

One of them, then, grabbed her by the arm, lifted her from the ground and shouted at her to shut up, that they hadn’t dressed her up for nothing. It was then I noticed that amongst the clothes she had on, she had around her neck an expensive necklace, covered in diamonds.

I grinned in satisfaction.

It had been them that had found my luggage and emptied it.

I was so going to enjoy beating them down to a pulp. I jumped them and, I must admit, they weren’t much to begin with.

They were only street thugs, after all.

After having beaten them down to unconsciousness, I turned toward the girl, as I helped her up.

She immediately started crying as she hugged me, thanking me profusely for saving her. I smiled at her and told her to wait there for a moment. I couldn’t let her face the freezing cold outside, barely naked as she was.

As I went outside, I collected a few needed things and then, walked back in. She was still there, sitting on a crate, expectantly staring at me as I walked closer to her. Once more, she resumed thanking me, crying softly against my torso.
I hugged her back and, unseen to her, quickly prepared the needed.

Then, I told her that she shouldn’t be thanking me.

Why shouldn’t I? You’re my hero…” she said with her sweet, trembling voice.

“I’m no hero. I’m just here to collect my luggage.”

As I said that, I plunged the syringe in her neck, shooting into her bloodstream the tranquilizer that was going to place her back to sleep for the day.

After placing her back inside the luggage, I left and, slowly trudged my way back to my second car.

But, as I arrived at my place, you guys were there and… Well, what could I do against so many police agents all at once?
I’m good… but not that good.


What do you mean if this is a joke? Do you think I’m joking? This is no joke at all.

What? Where is the girl? But she’s in the back of the… F**k! I forgot her! Again!

Sh*t, I was sure to have loaded her within my truck.

She must still be outside the warehouse, locked in the luggage…

Um? Why did I do it? Look, this was supposed to be my new career, ok?

I’ve been fired by my company and my taxi taken.
I needed the money and I thought it would have been easier, you know?



Ransom? You mean, I wouldn’t have been paid right away by her?

This kidnapping thing is harder than I thought it would be.

Guess I’ll have to find a new job…

Any suggestions, Officer?
© Copyright 2022 E-Brony (sick-o-brony at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270387-First-day-on-the-job