*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270388-Memory-Lane
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #2270388
Jody takes Dani on a tour of her childhood.
Memory Lane




"I used to live here," said Jody, sadness lacing her voice.

"Here?" asked Dani, looking around the empty lot. The remnants of a foundation poked through the dirt in spots, and she watched as Jody bent to lift a piece of debris off the ground.

"There was a house here before it burned down, silly," replied the other woman. "I'm surprised someone hasn't rebuilt on the site yet. It's a prime location," she continued looking around the area, kicking at the soil when something interesting caught her eye.

"Hey!" a voice yelled from across the street. "You can't be in there! Can't you read? It says 'No Trespassing'."

The pair turned to see a woman storming across the pavement toward them. The lady stopped short when she saw Jody.

"Oh," she said with a sneer, "it's you. I remember you."

Jody looked at Dani and raised an eyebrow. The younger woman shrugged at her partner.

"Do I know you?" asked Jody.

The woman stopped, glaring just past Jody's shoulder.

"You know damned well who I am, Dottie Taylor, and I'm here to tell you to leave!" She tried staring the two women down, planting her fists on her hips.

It didn't work. The pair stood looking at the lady, confusion coloring their faces.

That was when Dani felt an icy presence at her side and shivered in the warmth of the July sun. The woman's eyes widened with fear, and she scurried back across the road, through the door of a green building. The women watched as a curtain moved, and a pale face appeared behind the glass.

"What was that about?"

"Dunno," replied Jody with a shrug. "Ready? I'm getting hangry."

"Me too, let's go."





© Copyright 2022 Just Jae (jaejaeme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270388-Memory-Lane