*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270449-The-Map-March-Prompt
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Western · #2270449
A guy from the future dropped in the wild west leading an Oregon Wagon Train.
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

How in the world did this happen! One minute I was standing in the Galloway Stables in Missouri looking for a horse to take out on a trail ride! Now I am in the middle of a Wagon Train heading to Oregon! Is this for real?

"Hey John", an older gentleman from one of the wagons called to me.

I am thinking, "How did he know my name?" I walked over to where the man was standing by a wagon. The man must have been in his late 50's or early 60's. He was dressed in brown buckskins an kinda looked rough around the edges.

The man in question said, " John I am glad to see you up and about. You took a nasty bump to the head."

I asked him, "How do you know my name, and wherein tarnation am I at, and who are you?

"Son, my name is Samuel Beechum but folks just call me Sam. Well, one of our women folk found you lying next to the bushes on their way to do the washing in the river. A couple of us men helped carry you over to one of our wagons. Laura Mae tended to your wounds and got you all bandaged up. She noticed you had a small bag with you and I hope you don't mind but she rummaged thru it to see if we could find out who you were. There was a map in your bag with a name written on the back, a John Southerland so we just assumed that was you." the man said.

"Yes that is me, but where am I at?"

The man looked at him, judging by the way he was looking at me, he probably thought I had lost my marbles.

"Son, I do you not remember?"

"No I don't remember anything, he wasn't about to tell the man that he was from the year 2022! Seeing as he was on the Oregon Trail it must be somewhere around 1832 to 1842.

"Well now by that there map you had in your bag, it looked like you are headed where we are headed," Samuel said.

With a heavy sigh, I said " I guess so". He wasn't about to tell Sam, he had no idea.

With a hearty laugh, Sam said, "Well John, I have a proposition for you if you are up to it"

I thought to myself, I best try to blend in, and if Sam is trying to help me... "Ok Sam, what is it?"

Sam shook his head, his long graying hair, blew in the wind, and said "We lost our Guide. He just took off one morning and never showed back up. Seeing as you have a map of the trail, I was hoping you might lead us and be our Guide."

I rubbed my head, man did it ache, as I thought about my situation, the more the idea appealed to me. "Ok, Sam you got yourself a deal" Even though I had no idea what a guide was supposed to do, hopefully, if I walk around camp some I might get a feel for what I am supposed to be doing.

Sam clapped his hands together, "Where are you from son? You talk funny"

In my mind, I thought ugh oh, I need to be more careful and watch the way I talk, this is the 1800's after all. I hesitated a moment, then said " Missouri. That is where I was living in 2022 so it wasn't a lie.

Sam laughed, "Ah well you will fit right in then, most of us are from Kansas and parts of Missouri."

Just as he was about to say he needed to walk around and acquaint himself with everyone, A beautiful young woman walked around from the back of the wagon. I know my eyes were about to pop out of my head and I could feel the heat on my face. She was absolutely the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. She had the bluest eyes, I could drown in them, and the prettiest light brown hair that hung to her waist. It was braided and tied back even though she wore a bonnet I could tell it looked so soft. I wanted to run my hands over it to see if it was as soft as it looked but now was not the time. Even though her clothing was a bit tattered and layers upon layers, she was still beautiful and he could tell she had curves in all the right places. I was brought out of my stupor when Sam coughed. Clearly realizing I was staring. " I said oh, I am sorry, forgive my manners" I stepped forward to take her hand and bowed and placed a slight kiss across her fingers. I hope that is how they greeted people here in this time. I remember watching some of the wild west movies, and that is how it was done then."

Sam spoke up, "This is my daughter Laura Mae, the one who tended to you while you were knocked out cold."

As I released her hand, I said "Thank you so much for caring for me Miss Beechum"

She blushed, and said, "You are most welcome, kind Sir."

"You must call me John"

Laura looked toward her father for approval, as it was not proper for a young lady to call a man by his given name.

Sam just nodded his head, "I think we can forgo all the proper talk out here on the trail."

With a shy smile, She said "Alright John, and you must call me Laura".

I walked to the back of the wagon, spread the map out on the tailgate of the wagon. Looking over the map, I saw where there was an X marked on the map. Wondering to myself what that meant. "Say, Sam, can you tell me where about you think we are at on this map?" I was hoping he could tell me since I had no idea!

Sam studied the map for a few minutes and said, "we are somewhere right around here I think, we have been traveling for 3 days and left from Independence."

It looked to be a three of 4 days ride to the X that was marked on the map. "Sam, I am going to go around and introduce myself to everyone"

"John, that is a good idea".

As I walked around the camp, I asked if we had a doctor in the group. One of the families I had noticed the woman was pregnant and looked to give birth sometime soon. "Mrs. Wilson had said no but we have a midwife traveling with us." This was going to be a long long trip! How did I wind up here? As I thought back, the last thing I remember was I was walking thru the barn and saw the map lying on the ground in a pile of hay. I bent down to pick it up and when I did everything went black. Maybe it was some sort of Magical Map. My thoughts went back to Laura. I sighed, maybe all my experience as an intern at Centerpoint Medical Center will help save some of the lives on this Wagon train.

"Sam, have everyone boil all water before they drink it or give it to the livestock."

Sam gave John one of those why looks, "Why on earth would we do that?"

"Sam just trust me on this."

"Alright John, I will go tell everyone."

It was getting late, everyone was settling in for the night. Not having any idea where I was going to stay, Sam must of reading my mind because he turned before he left and said "there is an extra bedroll in the back of the wagon, you can stay with us. I also have an extra horse you can use."

I quickly went to get the bedroll and settled down for the night. I was hoping I would wake back up in my time. Maybe if I took the map and held it a while, it would send me back.



Chapter 2 coming soon

© Copyright 2022 Laura Ellen Carr (kottenkandy41 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270449-The-Map-March-Prompt