*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270492-April-Fools-Day
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2270492
Flash Fiction
April Fool’s Day

April Fool’s Day was finally over! I’d survived another one. My head was just starting to clear from the barrage of “April Fools” I’d heard all day, at work. Why did anybody think they were going to fool anybody on April Fool’s Day?

I heard the first one getting out of my car...”Watch out! Puddle!” and I dutifully looked down at the bare dry ground, then heard Jared yell, “April Fools!” I smiled the required “You got me,” smile, and glanced at my watch. Only seven twenty-eight, it was going to be a long day.

It was too. April Fools tricks are notoriously lame. “Oh there’s a bug on your shirt!” “Ha, ha, you wore two different shoes today!” “Mr. Pinkly doesn’t like the display, you’re going to need to redo it!” Well, that one actually made my stomach drop a bit, darn that Susan!

I had my lunch “stolen” all the pens in my desk missing the ink cartridges, when I had to sign for a delivery, and Angela Smith, who I was thinking about promoting, actually slipped a whoopee cushion on my chair... I’m currently rethinking her promotion...

But home at last! My apartment! Nobody to ‘April Fool’ me! I could have a quiet, lovely evening with my sweet dog, Rover, who would be wagging his tail at the door, as soon as he heard me.

I opened my door, no Rover. I called him, “Rover! Rover!” Suddenly I heard a little noise from the kitchen. Rushing in, I found Rover on the floor with blood all over his stomach!

“Rover!” I cried, rushing to his side. And he jumped up, wagging his tail, knocking over the open ketchup bottle behind him, and I swear, I think he actually said, “April Fool!” in dog mumbles.

I’m so done.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270492-April-Fools-Day