*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270895-The-Politician---WC-212
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2270895
A voter attends the opposition's campaign speech.
The Politician
WC 212


The candidate hadn’t given his speech yet, but I couldn’t contain my reaction to this dull, senile old man.

I approached the dais.

“I find you insipid!” I blurted. “Irrelevant.”

As rude as my outburst was, it was surprisingly cathartic.

“Well, thank you so much. I appreciate your support.”

Say what? Was anybody home?

I was a supporter of his opponent, a robust and rambunctious man who lit up the room when he spoke. I could see that vital man leading our nation, not this shell of a man propped up by his sycophants.

Out of curiosity, I felt the need to attend this campaign event. Unfortunately, I realized too late that my presence gave this candidate inadvertent approval.

He reached for my hand; I instinctively backed away. Embarrassed by my involuntary reaction, I leaned into the handshake.

I wanted to say, “You would be deadly for our country” and see whether he would thank me for that observation, too.

“Well, showtime,” he said and hobbled toward the podium; the teleprompter containing his handler’s words was at the ready.

His eyes were vacant as he rambled on, following the empty promises on the teleprompter. At least the speech was mercifully short.

I prayed my vote would count; I guess it didn’t.
© Copyright 2022 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2270895-The-Politician---WC-212