*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2271007-The-Damned-Priestess
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2271007
Skrie takes the ring to a cleric
The Damned Priestess


Securing the ring in the pewter box, the companions sat down to discuss what to do next.

"I wish there was a college of magic here," said Theren.

"There's a temple," suggested Skrie. "Maybe one of the priestesses there can help us."

"I guess it's better than nothing," replied the elf, "let's take it there."

Malusk gathered his pack, which held the container and its dark contents. They trooped to the temple district, finding shrines to a few of the gods worshipped by the local populous--Gond and Waukeen stood out to Skrie. Unfortunately, a temple to Tymora was not among them.

"Pardon me, brother," the diminutive cleric approached an acolyte wearing a holy symbol she didn't recognize. "We have need of a priest with more experience than I. I see you have no temple to Tymora, could you direct us to a priest that could help us further identify an item? Please?"

"Hmm," the acolyte said, crossing his arms, then tapping a finger on his lip. "Father Stoen is away, but the priestess of Meilikki is in residence. This way, please," he walked toward an ivy-covered temple.

Entering the temple was like walking into a forest glade. Plants surrounded the group, and a small fountain spilled out into a stream around the plants.

"How may I help you?" asked an older woman dressed in a flowing green gown, with dark hair and a pleasant smile. "I am Veronda, priestess of Meilikki."

"We, ah," began Skrie, "we found this ring while out hunting." The halfling motioned Mal to open the pewter box. "I checked it for magic and discovered two enchantments embedded in the jewelry. We have been debating returning it to the owner."

"You know the owner, yet brought it here?" said Veronda, "interesting."

"I think I know who the owner is, but can't be sure of his trustworthiness."

"I see," responded the priestess. "Let me see," she continued as she cast a spell to Detect Magic. "Hmm, not only does it have transmutation magic, but it also promotes darkness. This must be studied more." She reached out to take the box with the item.

Malusk held the box tightly, but the priestess twisted the box from his grasp, leaving the half-orc gaping at the slim woman.

"Wait a minute!" protested Skrie. "We're taking this to the temple of Tymora. You have no right to steal this from us!"

"The item will be safer here, with those of more wisdom and experience," answered Veronda smoothly, a smug look flashing through her visage. "You are only an acolyte; it is not for one of your station." Several acolytes appeared at the temple door. Each looked quite capable of making a scene.

"Fine," said Skrie, eyes narrowing at the priestess. "Let's go Malusk, it's time to leave. I will report this theft to your superiors. I will also inform the owner of the piece where I left it, and under what circumstances."

Turning on her heel, Skrie stood as tall as her tiny form would allow and marched from the temple to the city gates. Malusk and Theren trailed behind.

"Now what?" asked the half-orc.

"We go find Geordo and tell him what happened," sighed the halfling, shoulders slumping with the setback.

"We should have done that sooner," murmured Theren as the trio passed through the gates toward the trail leading to Geordo's camp.



Next: "Foiling An Ambush


© Copyright 2022 Just Jae (jaejaeme at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2271007-The-Damned-Priestess