*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2271919-Moon-Shadowing-the-Sun---Chapter-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2271919
One Kingdom invaded by another repells the invaders until a sorcerer appears
Moon Shadowing the Sun


Chapter One


King Meda leaned forward on the throne, scratching his greying beard as he regarded his general. The expression on his face betrayed the worry he felt despite his air of confidence. The kingdom of Colum was at war with their northern neighbour, Sultara. Up to a point, king Meda had successfully repelled the Sultaran invaders until a powerful sorcerer appeared. The Colum army had no defence against sorcery. Now his forces were barely holding out against an almost certain defeat.

“Nicolia, I have a mission for you,.” the king said, his voice cracking a little as he spoke,

Nicolia Tersly frowned, his blue eyes fixed on his king as he stood to attention. “I am yours to command, sire.”

The king took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. “We will lose this war if we can’t stop that damned sorcerer. He is well protected, and we can’t get anywhere near him. We need our own sorcerer or more powerful magic practitioners; the more, the better if we are to turn this war back in our favour.”

Nicolia nodded, his expression grim. “I understand, my liege. What is it you wish me to...” Nicolia stopped mid-sentence, realising what the king was likely to ask him to do. “You are not suggesting I find the old witch sire surely; she is but a myth, and even if she does exist and is willing to help, she must be old and weak now. She won’t be of much help against such a powerful sorcerer.”

King, Meda sighed, “It’s a faint hope, but we all have right now. Maybe she will be able to tell you where we can find a mage or mages strong enough to stand against the sorcerer.”

Nicolia bit his bottom lip; frustration and concern for the king warred within him. “I should stay by your side, my liege to marshal the army. Can’t you send someone else?”

King Meda’s expression turned stern as he regarded Nicolia. “There is no one I trust more than you. That is my command find the witch or someone with magic and do it quickly, or there won’t be a kingdom to return to.”

Nicolia sighed with a gloomy expression even though he thought it was a fool’s errand. He had no choice but to follow the king’s orders. “As you wish, sire.”

King Meda managed a smile as he observed Nicolia’s downcast look. “Pick twelve of your best men and leave as soon as you have made necessary preparations. May the gods be with you, my friend.” King Meda watched Nicolia leave with a heavy heart. He hoped his young friend a swift success and an even speedier return. If not, then Nicolia might at least survive.

Nicolia spent several days following up on any leads that might lead to the witch or anyone with arcane ability. He decided to split his men into two. One group headed south, where there were rumours of someone using magic. He, his sergeant and the remaining men were travelling east to the Mire Forest, where stories of the witch the king mentioned seemed to centre around. Nicolia stood up in his stirrups, surveying the scene ahead. The Mire Forest was a foreboding place and far more vast than he thought. “How are we ever going to find the witch in here. It will take weeks to search if we don’t get lost in it.”

Sergeant Hacon shook his head, slowly turning to face Nicolia. “I still say it’s a wild goose chase. If the witch exists, she must be ancient by now and not much use to anybody.”

Nicolia grimaced, running a hand through his blonde hair. “I agree, but we have to try at least.” He nudged his horse on, signalling to his men to follow. The closer they got to the forest, the more forboding it became. Then they were among the trees. A narrow trail led deeper into the woods, and an eerie silence fell. The men spoke in low voices, not wanting to disturb the quiet around them for fear of what might awaken some fell creature or ghost. Only the rustling of the breeze amongst trees and the occasional bird call could be heard. The forest felt suffocating, filled with an air of menace. Nicolia rode slowly, looking in every direction, as did his men. One hand hovering nervously close to their swords. They rode deeper and deeper into the forest for hours, hardly speaking. Nicolia began to think they were lost. He called a halt looking back the way they came; he cursed as the trail seemed to disappear behind them.

Sergeant Hacon scratched the stubble on his chin as he looked around. “I think we may have gotten lost, sir.”

Nicolia frowned, giving Hacon a stern glance, “Do tell Rob, I think we better...” He was interrupted by movement amongst the thicket to the right. Instinctively, he drew his sword, his men following suit. To his surprise, he wasn’t sure if it was a woman or girl that steped out from the bushes with her back to Nicolia. In one hand, she held freshly picked flowers. The girl seemed engrossed in searching for something and did not notice Nicolia at first. Suddenly stopping turning to face Nicolia.

“Oh, hello.” The girl said in a soft, mellow voice.

Nicolia took a moment to recover from the surprise before speaking. “Hello, what you doing wandering in these woods? Are you lost?”

The girl smiled, “I was about to ask the same thing. The witch used to always let me pick flowers here.” She held up the flowers in her hand. “Pretty, aren’t they. I love flowers.”

Nicolia frowned, “You know of the witch? She is real, can you show us where she lives? We are seeking her help urgently.”

The girl sighed, looking down. “She is dead now gone. I miss the talks we had.”

Nicolia’s heart sang. It had all been for nothing; he hoped the men he sent south faired better. “I See, so did you know the old witch well?” Nicolia considered if the girl knew the witch well, she might have some clue about the whereabouts of others with magic ability.”

The girl suddenly looked serious as she stared at Nicolia. “It is not safe here. You should leave now.”

Nicolia, taken aback, stared back at the girl. “What about you? Do you want us to take you to safety?”

The girl’s expression changed again, “That is very kind of you. Perhaps I can show the witch’s house is it will be dark soon, you can spend the night there safely.”

The girl led them deeper into the forest. As the light faded and darkness descended, they finally came to a house with a thatched roof. Nicola turned to the girl, curious about her. “You seem to know the forest well won’t you be missed? I mean, your parents must be worried by now.”

The girl gave Nicolia an amused look that seemed much older and wiser than her seeming youthful appearance. “I have no parents, not now anyway.” There was a note of sadness in her voice as she spoke.

Nicolia ordered his men to billet outside while he and the girl entered the house; He thought there was more to the girl than what seemed to be on the surface. “I‘m sorry for your loss. So did the witch let you live here then?”

The girl smiled, realising that Nicolia was close to finding her secret. “Yes, that is right .”

Nicolia looked around, noting the main room was warm and cosy with little furnishings. A fire already burned in the hearth, and an oil lamp dimly lit the room. As he turned back to face the girl, she was longer there. He checked the other rooms finding nothing. He went outside and asked his men if they had seen her come out. None had seen her leave the house. Nicolia combed a hand through his thick blonde hair and swore. Returning inside, the girl sat by the fire, staring into the flames. She looked much older now, no longer a girl but a grown woman with long red hair streaked with silver and eyes like emeralds. She was plain-looking and wore a long but short-sleeved beige dress that showed her slender arms. She looked up at Nicolia and smiled serenely.

“So what brought you here for the old witch’s help?” She asked.

“So the old witch taught you, I’m guessing. There is a war going on outside this forest. Our country is being invaded from the north. We managed to repel the invaders until a sorcerer showed up. We desperately need someone to counter the sorcerer.”

The woman nodded, “So you were hoping the old witch would come to your aid or maybe tell where to find someone who could.”

Nicolia nodded, waiting for the woman to say more. “I can tell you now there is no one more powerful as was the old witch as you called her.” The woman paused, her eyes narrowing. “How do I know this, you may ask, because she was my mother, and yes, she taught me all I know. No mere witch was she but the most powerful sorceress this land has ever known.” Again she paused, looking away a moment. “You can stay here the night, but you must leave in the morning.”

Nicola was dumbfounded, “You aren’t going help us? Then tell me where I can find someone that can at least.”

The woman stood arms at her side, “There isn’t anyone else. I know of this sorcerer. There is no one strong enough to stand against him.”

Nicolia frowned, “No one else! Meaning, you can but won’t help that’s it isn’t it.”

The sorceress scowled. “Why should I get involved in your petty feuds. My mother helped your old king once long ago. What thanks did she get? Exiled to these woods for the rest of her life.”

Nicolia was speechless. He knew there had to be a connection between the king and the witch; otherwise, the king wouldn’t have asked him to find her. The sorceress seemed adamant. He decided not to press her further. It had been a long day; maybe he could try and persuade her in the morning after getting some rest. Nicolia checked on his men after the sorceress showed him where to sleep. The moon was high, and stars sparkled brightly, filling the night sky. About to turn in for the night, he stopped studying the sorceress as she came out to glance up at the heavens.

Nicolia sighed; he didn’t know her name, nor had he told her his yet. They should know each other’s names even if they never meet again. “Erm, my name is Nicolia Tersly. May I know your name at least.”

Again the sorceress smiled childlike at Nicolia, pointing her head towards the moon; she nodded, “Moon,” she answered.

“What! the moon, what about the moon?”

Without another word, the sorceress turned going back indoors, leaving Nicolia standing.

Chapter Two


Nicolia tossed restlessly in the cot the sorceress provided for him. The room he slept in was small and stuffy. He surmised it was really a storage room or had been once. He began thinking about what she had last said to him. Why suddenly mention the moon? Didn't she want to tell me her name? Wait, did she mean her name was Moon? Can that be it?” If so, why didn’t she make that clear? He fell asleep dreaming of the moon.

The following day Nicolia sat outside eating trail bread with his men pondering how he would try and persuade the sorceress to help.

The door opened, and the sorceress came out holding a travel bag. She was dressed in a long dark blue dress and calf-length boots. “So, aren’t you ready to leave yet?” Moon asked.

Nicolia looked at his sergeant, bemused. Hacon shrugged, looking equally puzzled.”Have you decided to come with us?” Nicolia asked.

"I do not promise anything beyond seeing you safely out of the forest,” Moon said. She went to the back of the house and returned, leading a grey mare. Nicolia and his men finished breakfast and packed up while Moon saddled her horse and waited..
© Copyright 2022 Dragonbane (martygall at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2271919-Moon-Shadowing-the-Sun---Chapter-1