*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2273012-Child-Hood-Days-1
Rated: E · Other · Biographical · #2273012
This is about my childhood days, around the of 6.Wrote initially few years ago.
Child Hood: How it all began:
I can remember some incidents only from around 5 or 6 years young. At times, I get some shadow sort of vague images of the past. As I kept on thinking several times in my life as to how all it began and why am I here in this world.
Later in life a colleague of mine told me that, if any one can continue to think about his past going backward from where has he, reached, will certainly find his / her past.
I could see my inter-action with my mother, neighbors and sister as of 1954, 5 years and 5 months young. I can still remember the house owner Mrs.Thankam mami, her daughter and my class mate Radha, the domestic servant Mokambi and my aunty who lived in the next street. (My mother never encouraged me to visit her as both were out-laws towards each other rather than in-laws by relation.
I can remember attending the farewell party given to my father, on 7th May 1954 – as there is a photo taken during this function. I saw my father in his kaki trousers and shirt wearing a tough hat to suit this attire. The hat was round and formed a rib to give shadow to the user. It also had a fine strip of leather to fasten it below the lower jaw.
Some where in this year, before we moved (to Waynad in Kerala) I saw the famous car festival of kalpathi village courtesy my uncle Mr.Narayanaswamy (will be referred as Papa mama in future).
I also remember, the domestic servant Mokambi having taken me to console at times, when my parents were upsetting each other. My mother never left me alone and whenever I made her life miserable, she will threaten to leave me, and go away for ever. But I will tender my apologies and some how clung to her not letting her go away from me.
Later in my years, I clarified with my mother, why she is so much affectionate to me. Then she told me the following, with tears in her yes.
My mother was pregnant in the year 1948, with me in her belly, and, all in the family were expecting a nice baby to be born in that year. The excitement was simply because, no child was born in the family for long and it was common in a family to welcome a new born with fanfare.
As the days passed, my mother was left in her parent’s house for delivering the baby and to remain for few more months with post delivery care. The house hold had grand parents, an elderly aunt (sister of my maternal grandfather) school going uncles, and one employed as local village office employee. There were, so many workers engaged for farm duties and looking after other activities.
There was a washer woman, called VANNATHI KUNJI (meaning washer woman by name Kunji). Besides there were other trades men or associates for the family – Raman Vaidhyyan,( family doctor), and priest to conduct all poojas and religious functions plus an astrologer – by name Damodaran.
So, there were enough people to tender to my mother. Here I have to say few words about my maternal grandmother( as I learned about her by observing while taking vacations in the later years).My maternal grandparents were addressed as Chithappa and Chithi – as addressed by his elder brothers children who also lived next door. So, all in the family addressed the same way. This practice made me not to address any of my real chithappas as such. Therefore, even to-day if some one says Chithappa, my thoughts, travels to imagine my maternal grandfather.
My maternal grandmother is the best woman ever born in this world, and there is none, to match her in any manner whatsoever. Named as Arunthathi alias Thankam( Gold) – living gold. She was a very patient lady bearing every-ones demands and putting up-with all sorts of situations. My grand mother was a very kind person, to all in the family and a very pious lady as well. Will, tell more about her, as I write more about my childhood in the days ahead.
It all happened within a matter of few hours, that my mother gave birth to me TWO MONTHS prior to due date of delivering me.( My mother told me that Iam always in a hurry and that’s why came to this world two months earlier??!!)
In those days, there were no any ICUs, no incubators, nor do any competent lady doctors close by. It was my grandmother, washer woman Kunji and few other ladies who were in action with anxiety in getting me into this world. There was trouble, as I could not be handled safely. They used the tender banana tree skins to hold me in the palm. Milk was fed into my mouth using a fine thread soaked in the boiled cow milk as my mother had no milk to offer to me. There was lack of lactation!
But, there was God available to the prayer by all to save me and extend my life as long as possible to nourish and sustain in the days ahead. All prayed to Lord Krishna – watching the events from Guruvayoor- to spare my life. My mother offered me to God alive and agreed to look after me as HIS son. So many promises were made to all Demy Gods to give me life. My paternal Grandfather – despite a reputed astrologer himself, could not confirm if I ever will survive the premature birth. Hence put a question mark on my horoscope.After few months of my birth, I was taken to Guruvayoor and left in the entrance of the temple. Some old lady took me away. My parents paid a price to take me/ adopt me as God’s baby and to look-after thereafter. This is how my life was spared and so my mother always stayed closer to me.
V.Sivasubramaniam
24th September 2009
Will continue again



© Copyright 2022 perfection (vsiva2001 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2273012-Child-Hood-Days-1