*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2273521-MATT-DUGGAN---Detective-Series
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Crime/Gangster · #2273521
Episode IV: Part VII - The Case of the Conniving Gun Moll
Part VII





Decked out in a new summer floral dress, Joan Russo pulled the door of her hotel suite shut. She hooked the bright red ‘do not disturb sign’ over the room’s lever door handle before strolling seductively down the hallway toward the elevator lobby. Glancing at herself in a full length mirror on the wall opposite the elevator, she admired and smiled at her reflection. Cute, very cute, she thought, whirling around several times. The dress flaunted her shape, accentuated further with a pair of knee length boots and a floppy sunhat. It was a boho-chic look designed to facilitate browsing around, window shopping, and later to dinner.

“Beautiful,” she heard a voice utter in the background.

Joan turned her head in time to notice a middle aged male sauntering down the hallway and past the elevator lobby. Voicing an approval, he had caught sight of the young woman checking herself in the mirror. Returning a smile, she walked into the voice activated elevator. “Lobby,” she uttered.

***

“Hello, Mr. Moore ... this is Davin Ferrante. How are you this evening?” the unfamiliar caller politely asked.

“I’m sorry ... this is who?” Jeffrey Moore repeated.

Pulling the cell away from his ear, Ferrante quickly glanced at the screen. This IS the correct phone number, he thought. “Davin Ferrante,” the caller said again. “My girlfriend and I are the new tenants in your home in Coyote Creek.”

"Uhm ... oh, yes … yes. Now I remember. Sorry about that. The property manager normally handles any issues or problems regarding the house. You’ll need to give them a call and …”

“That’s not why I’m calling,” Ferrante abruptly cut in.

A pause. “Okay, if it’s nothing involving the home, then what can I do for you?” Moore asked.

Placing his cell phone in speaker mode and setting it on the kitchen counter, Ferrante opened the refrigerator and reached for a beer. “I understand someone dropped by earlier today," he went on, "but no one was home. I mean, we just moved in, and people we don't even know are already banging on the front door.”

Moore sighed. “I understand your concern, and I'm terribly sorry. It was a couple of pesky real estate agents looking for a new listing. Coyote Creek is prime real estate ... every brokerage in town would kill to list any home in that development."

“How do you know they were real estate agents?” Ferrante asked.

“Because they called me,” Moore replied. “I was told no one answered the door, so they assumed the occupants had already left.”

“Yeah, that's correct. The neighbor told me about it after I returned late this afternoon," he lied. "I could have saved you a call had we spoken to them.”

“Oh, no problem. By the way, does your girlfriend normally take a cab to work?” Moore asked, changing the subject.

Ferrante cocked his head. "What do you mean?”

“That same neighbor called earlier and told me a cab dropped by about half an hour prior to the arrival of the real estate agents. He said the driver helped a young blonde female load several bags into the vehicle before departing.”

Ferrante choked back his anger, then faked a chuckle. “Oh, uh, yes, I completely forgot,” he lied again. "My girlfriend had a flight to catch on behalf of the company she works for. Unfortunately, I had to leave earlier, and I was unable to take her to the airport, so she he must have made those cab arrangements with ... if I remember correctly, uhm ... Pinpoint Cab Company.”

“Hmm … “ Moore mumbled. “I believe the neighbor said it was Quick Cab Taxi.”

***

“Wow, this is beautiful,” Delia praised, checking out the polished resort as she and Matt strolled leisurely underneath the enclosed glass atrium. Offering nightly entertainment, on-site boutique shops, four restaurants, a cafe and several bars, she was agog with the glitz and sizzle of it all.

Captivated by the interior landscaping, Matt couldn’t help but feel drawn by its curb appeal. “I’d like to know who came up with the landscaping designs,” he marveled, looking around.

“And this is just a small portion of Ocean View Resort," Delia remarked. “There’s a sand beach area, waterfall, and …”

“And we have a suspect we’re supposed to be looking for,” Matt interrupted, turning and facing his assistant. “This is all very glamorous and appealing, but let’s not forget why we're here.”

Delia gave a resigned smile. “You’re right. We’re getting a little too caught up in the moment. We need to focus on spotting Russo." She turned in the direction of main lobby. “Sure would make things easier if we could …”

“It would. Unfortunately, we can’t,” Matt interrupted again. “But there is something we can do.”

“Okay,” Delia whispered, returning a curious look. “And what would that be?”

Matt checked his watch. "It's almost dinner time. What’s the name of that restaurant your friend recommended?"

Delia smiled. “Season’s 52.”


Click to read Episode IV Part VIII - "MATT DUGGAN - DETECTIVE SERIES
© Copyright 2022 jonblair (jonjacques at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2273521-MATT-DUGGAN---Detective-Series