*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2273562-The-Ascent
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by brom21
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Emotional · #2273562
A dying king seeks a cure to his disease atop a high mountain.
King Darvy peered out the window of his castle. A large golden topped hourglass lay on a nightstand near him. He stared anxiously at the full moon, knowing his time on Earth was short. By looking at the sand in the top section of the hourglass, he knew he had weeks.

An owl hooted like a sound of doom.

There was a knock at the door of his chamber. “Enter,” said Darvy.

An old man in a blue robe with a hood stepped in. “Hello, your majesty.”

King Darvy did not reply, but brooded, still.

“My Lord, you cannot go on like this. I implore you to live your last days to its limits. Take a trip across the Triton Sea. Visit your brother who rules the kingdom of Esketar. Go hunting in the woods. Do something.”

“It is hard to do anything when death is so near. Very well.” King Darvy stood. “I will go in the archives. Perhaps that will get my mind off things.”

The man in the blue robe bowed and left.

Darvy sulked down a long hall. At the and was a door which led him down some stairs to the vast books, tablets and scrolls inside the archives. He took a torch mounted to the left lentil of the archive door.

He walked to a desk piled with books and placed the torch on a fixture. He opened a book and read about the history of his kingdom of Issachar concerning its first war with the kingdom of the south and his kingdom’s victory. He took another book and read about the lineage of the kings.

He slammed the book closed and ran a palm down his face and sighed. Nothing could get his mind off his dilemma. He noticed a small book with a golden cover all by itself on the end of the table. For some reason, he was drawn to it. In silver on the cover was written the words-Myths and Lore

Darvy opened it and fund some outlandish tales and fables. His head tingled as he read something. It spoke of a talisman that could cure all ails and diseases. He read on and found this object lay in a temple at the top of Mount Avril. His heart soared and his body surged with exhilaration and Darvy did not know why this notion was affecting him like it was.

He jumped and ran back up the stairs and immediately he ordered two knights to accompany him to the templet atop Mount Avril. Provisions were gathered and the city clerk was left in charge and they disembarked.

The mountain was a snowcapped behemoth they could see passing through clouds.

“Lord Darvy, many have set off to conquer the great mountain, none have returned,” said the knight named Ativus.

“None have their lives depending on it.”

The other knight named Corman spoke. “I will travel with you to the death, my Lord.”

“Thank you, good night. What say you, Ativus?”

Ativus narrowed his eyes and smiled sternly “I will as well.”

The three rode through the wilderness and they came to the foot of the mountain and stopped to tether their horses to a tree.

Trees dotted the incline as birds perched on branches. The terrain began to become scarce of trees and animals. The air became cold as they saw the first patch of snow. A harsh wind picked up and they shivered. Soon a full-fledged blizzard broke out.

“My Lord, I fear I lives will be lost in this endeavor,” said Corman.

“Nevertheless, we made a vow,” said Ativus.

“I release you from your word. You may retreat if you will,” said the king.

Corman shook his head. “Nay, my Lord, we will stay true to our promise.”

The three strove upward and a small snowslide overtook Ativus and he was carried down the decline, with wind muffled screams, out of reach.

“I brought his death upon him!” the king cried. “I killed him!”

“He knew it could happen. You were like an angel of God to him,” said Corman.

“He was like a son to me. I will greatly grieve him.”

“We must go on my Lord.”

Darvy nodded and climbed onward.

After an hour of climbing, they met a ledge with a cave. The smiled and laughed at the refuge from the cold. They entered and sat against a wall.

“God has given us a haven. Let us rest,” said Corman.

A loud roar echoed and it chilled Darvy’s body. Heavy footsteps were heard as well as a large reptilian beast emerged from the shadows. Darvy and Corman rose and made for the outside of the cave.

Corman tripped and fell. Darvy turned to help him up but Darvy was not quick enough. The dragon wrapped its tongue around Corman’s legs and dragged him into the dragon’s mouth. Darvy trembled and cried in anguish over his lost servant.

The beast drove King Darvy outside and it receded back into the cave.

Darvy continued his climb as the air thinned.

When he thought he was doomed for sure, his heart leapt as he saw the top of the temple above him. He climbed onto the ledge and ran for an open doorway of the structure. There, set on gold pedestal in the center of the room, was a silver orb.

Darvy ran and snatched it up. Instantly, he felt the pain and ache of his disease fade. Then he despaired as he realized he could not get back down the treacherous mountain.

He fell to his knees and cried out to God with bitter tears. “Oh, Lord! Why did I not think of it! Forgive me for the death of your three servants!”

#

So Darvy stayed inside the temple. Days became weeks, weeks into months and months into years, for the orb seemed to give him eternal life without food or water. And the irony tortured him for the years ahead into the winds of time.

© Copyright 2022 brom21 (ion_7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2273562-The-Ascent