*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2274096-Just-a-Side-Character-2
by Alexia
Rated: E · Novel · Fantasy · #2274096
Bloody Beauty. A strange event changes Yasmin and Sorata's lives, endangering their lives.
“Strike!’

A fist smacked the dummy right on target.

“Duck!”

In perfect timing, the boy dodged a blow, striking the dummy once more.

I couldn’t hold back my smile; he was precise, as always. Ever since we started training eight years ago, he has been a perfect fighter. The beginning was a little rough; it always is. But he perfected his skills quickly, growing strong and tall.

Finishing the routine, he stepped back and wiped the sweat from his forehead. Muscles showed through the tank top and even more revealed when he lifted the edge of the shirt to his face.

“Stop showing off meathead.”

He gave a grin, bright blue eyes shining.

“Who would I be if I didn’t show off. You’re the one with skinny legs and a small body.”

My wings fluttered, making me rise and fall repeatedly.

“I’m a fairy! I’m supposed to be small!”

“Sure, say that all you want, Mina. Maybe if you say it enough, it will become true.”

I growled at him, but Sora only turned to walk back to the dressing room to get changed. I looked around the area, noting how well he had gotten. Every hit was perfect, even as he switched weapons, styles, and enemies. At eighteen, he was a fighting master.

"Sorry Mina, you know I love you right?"

His bold attitude shifted to a calmer one, eyes softer and a smile on his face. It always hit me when he changed, from his fighting ‘I can kill you’ to his ‘I love you and am I a cute baby animal.’ He could fool anyone with those baby blue eyes of his.

“Whatever, let’s just go home.”

I motioned towards the flower we used for Sora, him following behind me without another word. Chitera would say things that he was my baby, he never left my side. It worked for me because I could guide and protect him better.

We both stepped on the small bud, and I knelt to touch the petal. Concentrating on the flower, it began to grow until it was speeding towards our level of the family tree.

Reaching the landing platform, Sora jumped off as soon as he could, he was going to talk to Chitera and get all the praise. I stood still, smiling as Sora walked away.

Life was good, he was training to be a hero, I was his best friend, and there were no problems in sight.

That is until a scream ripped through the air. Sora fell to the ground, clawing at as much of his back as he could reach. I ran towards him just in time to see a pair of angel wings tear through his back, splattering blood everywhere.

The scream drew fairies out of their houses, flittering near to see what had happened. Chitera and Renri ran out as I lifted his head onto my lap.

Blinding white wings lay limp on the floor as his back muscles spasmed and twitched. He had passed out, most likely from the pain; even then his face would move as pain rocked through him.

When Chitera and Renri saw the wings, they quickly grabbed him, and together we moved Sora into the house. Chitera was cleaning the blood away as Renri used a healing salve against his aching back.

I didn’t know what to do.

This was obviously plot, I had done this enough to know that. But his wings, they made everything twice as hard.

“Chi Chi, he’s. Sora is an-”

“Mina, I know honey but right now I need you to get some ice and put them against his back. This is going to be a difficult time for him right now and we all need to help him through this.”

Her words made my feet move and I was suddenly running around the tree, gathering things that my parents asked for. Soon, Sorata was in his bed lying on his stomach as Chitera worked his muscles and Renri applied ice and a wet towel. I was left in the background, wings twitching.

When I was a baby, Chi Chi told me all about Angels and their reign. They were kings of the people, right and fair rulers. Everyone loved them, the angels were perfect and couldn't do any wrong.

Until they were all killed, hunted down by the Dragons. They claimed a birthright to the throne and decided the only way to get it was to kill all of the Angels. They succeeded; Angels were wiped off the planet. Or so we all thought.

Sorata was an Angel; the bright white wings were staring at us.

After there was nothing else to do other than let him rest, the rest of the family was called.

Looking at the family, it was difficult to tell who was related to who. I had a great, great, great niece that was four years older than me while my closest sibling was fifty years older than me. This time it was only the adult siblings, and that meant I wasn’t really invited.

“If they find out, we could all get killed!” Rhodon was pacing; wings flashing angrily. “I can’t go through that, the blame would fall to Honey and Ash and Skylark!”

“Calm down! Sora is our child just as much as you are.” Rhodon knocked Chitera away, leaving her in the center of the room.

Kyan stood, Mayten at her side. “He’s right though. We all have families,” Mayten continued, “Lella just had her baby and I can’t leave her alone during this time.”

“We can’t keep him here, he is a danger to us all.”

WIth Unakit’s words, the room fell silent as I clung to the side of the tree.

Sure, we had a rough path ahead. Sora would have to fight Dragons and retake the thrown and that would require help. But to be thrown out without aid, I wasn’t sure if he would survive his wings healing.

“Children,” Renri’s voice was strong, filling the air. “Sorata is our child just like each of you are and your Chitera and I are responsible for all of your safety. We cannot throw him out, some Cat would find him and take him straight to the capital for bounty. That being said, he cannot stay either. We are Faires, we don’t fight and we can’t. An answer will present itself and I suggest we all go home and get a good nights sleep. We will meet in the morning to figure out a plan.”

Each of the siblings hugged and kissed goodbye; leaving Renri and Chitera hanging in the doorway as their children flew away. Once they were all gone, Chitera threw herself at Renri, her sobs echoing up through the tree.

My family was doomed. Sorata’s wings burst outside which meant others saw the event. A Fairy could be reporting to the Royals right now and Dragons would be on us in the morning. In that case, we would all be found treasonous, tearing the family apart.

But if Sora was left alone, he would end up dead of disease, an animal, or the Dragons. Neither story presented the Happy ending he should have.

I would have to make a third path.

First, Sora needed to heal. He can’t fly yet so I would need to use a Dove. Then we find some people that would be willing to fight for their rightful king and then we stick Sora on the throne and fix everything.

Second, actually, follow through with the plan and do something.

“Mina?”

His voice was muffled by the pillow and I could tell he was still in pain. He moved a little, only to freeze up and let out a groan.

“Don’t, not right now.” I set my hands on his shoulders, brushing through his hair. “Your back needs to heal and that takes time.”

“Why... Yasmin, What?”

Of course, he didn’t know what was going on, no one expects wings to rip through your back.

“This is gonna be strange Sora, but there are wings on your back.”

He just let out a laugh, probably still off from the pain.

“Imma Fairy!”

I didn’t argue; he wasn’t in shape to understand the fact that he had Angel wings, not Fairy ones. We would talk more when he wasn’t still half asleep or high on healing salve.

“Sure hun. Now, go back to sleep. We can talk when you wake up.”

I would now just need to figure out a plan before Sorata woke up.
© Copyright 2022 Alexia (alexiajane at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2274096-Just-a-Side-Character-2