*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2274183-Kismet
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2274183
Daily Flash Fiction
Kismet

“Excuse me,” someone said from behind Jason.

Jason whipped around and found himself practically nose to nose with a police officer.

“Is there something wrong?” he asked.

“What are you doing?” the officer asked back.

“I’m just setting up my table.”

“For?”

“I’m going to sell my mother’s cookies.”

“Well… we have had a few complaints.”

“About me?” Jason said in surprise.

“I don’t think so, did you sell fruit before?” the policeman asked.

“No, Sir. I never sold anything before. But when I saw the fruit stand, I thought maybe we could sell my mother’s cookies. She was not crazy about the idea at first, but she makes really good cookies and she has to work two jobs. We’re always trying not to spend money. I talked her into trying it. Is it OK?”

“Did you get a permit?”

“I don’t know what a permit is...”

The officer smiled. “My name is Alex Hill. Call me Officer Hill. Let’s go ask your mother if you can go uptown with me and we’ll get you a permit to sell the cookies.”

That all happened, the cookie stand, which they named ‘Mom’s Cookies,’ went up with help from Officer Hill. It was a big hit. They continued to sell cookies every weekend. Mom got to quit her second job.

The guy selling the fruit was caught. Seems he not only didn’t have a permit, he also stole the fruit from Arthur Bradley’s general store. Jason ended up working for Arthur after school weekdays. Arthur taught him about running a business.

Jason got very good at business, they opened “Mom’s Cookies” in town in his mid-twenties. Officer Hill spent a lot of time with Jason, so also with his Mom. Alex and Mom were married right after Jason graduated college.

That’s kismet
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2274183-Kismet