*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2275319-Waking-Up
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2275319
Flash Fiction
Waking Up

It was just starting to get light as I woke. Why is it that on workdays I get blasted out of a sound sleep by my alarm clock, but on Saturday I wake up at dawn? Anyway, I was awake.

As I lay there thinking about breakfast, I always think about food... I knew I had a box of shredded wheat in the cupboard, but it was Saturday... I was thinking I could go to the diner and have somebody cook me a real breakfast.

Suddenly a bird flew right into my window! I jumped out of bed and ran over. My bedroom was just above the porch so my window had a roof under it. I looked out and there was a bird just standing there on the roof. It seemed to be ok, just dazed I guess. I figured with time it would fly off, so I continued on with my breakfast plans.

When I got back from breakfast I was surprised to find that very bird standing on my front porch. As I walked up to it, slowly so I wouldn’t frighten it, it just stood there staring at me.

Finally I got close enough to speak quietly to it. I was afraid of scaring it off if I spoke too soon, especially if it was hurt.

“Hello little bird,” I said softly. “Are you OK?”

It cocked it’s head, as if studying me and then it cheeped.

I loved it! It was like we were having a real conversation! I immediately added, “I saw you hit the window, I hope you’re alright!”

The bird cocked it’s head, and then said, “English huh. No wonder I got lost, I thought I was in Spain.”

And that’s when my alarm clock went off. It was really only Wednesday...
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2275319-Waking-Up