*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2275474-Moving-Forward
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2275474
Flash Fiction
Moving Forward

Still newlyweds, Jack and Hannah were enjoying a second hand movie they’d picked up. Friday night was their date night. Saturday there were always things to do, Sunday family visits. Friday night was their chance to let go of the work week, and just enjoy being together.

As they got to an exciting part, Hannah murmured, “I wonder what will happen next.” Jack immediately hit the pause button.

“Hey! Why’d you do that? I want to know what happens next! Can’t you wait ten seconds before you go for potato chips?”

“I’m not going for potato chips, this is a game my Dad used to play with us. I’d forgotten all about it till now.”

“A game to stop a movie in the middle of a crisis?”

“Sort of. He’d stop the movie, and then we would all guess what was gonna happen next. Whoever got it right, got double whatever we were having for snack that night.”

“That sounds terrible...”

“What? It was so fun! I mean yes, there were four of us, but it was fun making up what might happen next, and great if you won the extra treats.”

“It’s dumb. You’re supposed to get into the movie, that just pulls you out, and for what, food?”

“I see this is not going to work for us...” Jack said, grumpily.

“I’m sorry. I can’t watch a movie like that. I like getting pulled in by the stories. Maybe when we have kids, you can do that with them?”

“Huh...” Jack said “come to think of it, my mother was never watching with us when we played that game... did I just learn something new about women?”

“Well, definitely about the two important ones in your life! Turn the movie back on!!!”

And the marriage, happily, moved forward.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2275474-Moving-Forward