*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2276989-The-Universe-Unfolds-300-words
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #2276989
Daily Flash Fiction: Reaching a fork in the road
The Universe Unfolds

(300 words)

Daffodils bordered the dirt track we trod upon. Shafts of sunlight pierced the tree canopy, dappling the shade. I did not know whether I was leaving or going, but felt at peace, nevertheless.

I asked the spry old woman with whom I walked, “Where does this road lead?

She shrugged. “Too soon to say, yet.”

“You don’t know?”

“We don’t make the decision,” she said. “We just give you someplace pleasant to be, while the universe unfolds.”

“According to plan?”

“Oh, there’s no real plan.”

“What about fate? Or destiny?”

She shook her head. “Sorry. Oh, there are physical laws, of course, like cause and effect. All very scientific.” She put a hand on my arm. “Tell me about your children.”

I smiled. “Janie is fifteen, and Ben, thirteen. They’re good kids.” My arms ached for them. “Tell me—will they be alright, no matter what?”

“Can’t predict with certainty. Can’t predict the direction the arrow of time will take. For any given moment, there are countless possible paths forward, in both dark and light… But I will say,” she comforted, “knowing you, my guess is that they will be fine—no matter what.”

We walked. I urged, “I feel like there is some wisdom I should take back with me, if I go back.”

“Wisdom is only gained through living. So, live. Live as if each day were your last.”

At a fork in the road, we stopped. My husband’s voice, murmuring my name, sounded.

The old woman said, “Here’s where we part ways.”

“Can I take this peace with me?” I asked.

She smiled. “The power is in you.”

Then I was groggy in a hospital bed, my husband beside me. “Oh, sweetheart! You made it!” he said. “We almost lost you, but you made it! Thank God!”

© Copyright 2022 LouLearning (loulearning at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2276989-The-Universe-Unfolds-300-words