*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277043-The-Listener-296-words
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2277043
Daily Flash Fiction entry: Dreaming big
The Listener

(296 words)

I was a strange kid. I had the strangest dream. Dad always told me to dream big.

I looked around, and saw a need. People talked and no-one listened. I would become the world’s greatest listener.

I tried it out on my mother. “I’m listening,” I said, my hands clasped, while she put away the groceries.

She glanced askance at me. “Wonder where the time goes. Seems like only yesterday you were this little bundle in my arms.”

“Mm-hmm, uh-huh…”

“Now here you are, taking care of me.”

I put a hand on her arm. “Do you feel better now?”

She smiled. “I do.”

“Alright, then, my work here is done.”

Listening spread good feeling! It came natural to me.

Next, I tried out my listening on the old man next door. We sat on his porch, sipping lemonade. “And then what happened, Jim?” I asked, leaning in.

“I married her. We had forty-two great years together.”

“What’s your happiest memory?”

He thought for a moment. “Too many to mention… We liked to go camping. Up to Algonquin. One year, it rained the whole week we were there.” He stared into the distance, then chuckled. “Best week ever spent in a tent.”

Our pow-wows became regular, he talking and I listening. I never interrupted, and nodded when it was appropriate. And I learned so many things. Not only about Jim’s life, but how to make people feel worthwhile.

Ten years on, and I found out Jim was dying. I visited, and he said, “You have gifts. You must share them.”

“Gifts?”

“You’re the world’s greatest listener. And there are people in need.”

“Pshaw, what does listening do?”

“It saves lives.”

And now I am the best-listening doctor. My dream wasn’t so strange after all.

© Copyright 2022 LouLearning (loulearning at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277043-The-Listener-296-words