*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277717-Teriyaki-Kabobs
by Sum1
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Contest Entry · #2277717
This recipe was given to me by my Mother-In-Law. She got it from a Hawaiian friend
This is a 'tried and true' recipe. I made the sauce one night and marinated steaks for about 15 hours. I then took the steaks with me to the restaurant where I worked as a server. Once business slowed late in the evening, the cooks grilled them and I shared them with the crew. Several servers begged me for the recipe with one of them saying, "I'd pay good money to have this as my dinner". I also made it for the department picnic (Motorola), I couldn't grill the kabob's fast enough. They were the first dish to disappear from the table! Thank you Pauline Burtner for the recipe. RIP My Friend.


NOTE: Prepare the marinade and meat a day before you plan on grilling it.


Teriyaki Kabobs


Ingredients:

3-4 lb Rump roast. The weight of the roast should be commiserate with the number of people being served.

Equal parts Soy Sauce & Pineapple Juice. I typically use 12 oz each

Brown Sugar

Garlic Powder (Or fresh ground/minced)

Ginger Powder (Or fresh ground/minced)

Bamboo Skewers


Directions:

Cut the roast into bite size pieces, or pieces the size you wish to use.

Combine the Soy Sauce and Pineapple Juice

Add Brown Sugar. It will take almost a full pound. I add about 1/2 lb, then taste the sauce. The idea is to add brown sugar until the salt taste from the Soy Sauce is negated by the brown sugar. I usually add enough until it's still a little salty because the roast will change the taste of the marinade. I don't want it too salty, nor do I want it too sugary.

Add about 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder, and 1 tsp Ginger. Stir the sauce well to combine the ingredients.

Add the roast that has been cut into chunks.

Refrigerate AT LEAST 10-12 hours

Place the meat on bamboo skewers

Grill the skewers about 2 minutes per side, maybe a little less, depending on your taste.

I typically serve this with Corn-On-The-Cob and White Rice


         This is, without a doubt the best teriyaki recipe I've used. It's also the only one, but I've had other homemade sauces, as well as store bought sauces, none of them compare to this. You can use other meats (Chicken, fish, or pork) with this, but it will not taste the same as when using beef. Try it though, see what works for you! I do recommend using beef first, then experiment to see what you like. I've also made this using a good Ribeye or any other steak of choice. What a great treat, homemade Teriyaki Steak!
© Copyright 2022 Sum1 (jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277717-Teriyaki-Kabobs