*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277860-Apparently-James
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2277860
Flash Fiction
Apparently James

“Listen,” James said, as we were walking through the park.

I was tired. I hadn’t expected to be caring for James that day. Usually I made plans, new toys, a movie, something special for lunch, somewhere to go after lunch, like the aquarium. But I was totally unprepared that day. Not that I had other plans, I just like having plans. Unfortunately, James’ regular daycare person was sick.

We’d spent the morning watching a couple cartoons that were usually banned at his house... hey, I liked them! Then peanut butter sandwich lunch, and then, with nothing else, to the park, to walk off the rest of the day. “Listen,” he said again.

We stopped and I listened. There was a small squealy noise. It seemed to be coming from the bushes about five feet from the walkway. It sounded like an animal. Suddenly my protective instinct kicked in, “It could be dangerous! Maybe some animal that’s hurt, and would be afraid of us!”

James looked at me like I was a lunatic. “If it might be hurt, we need to find it!” Off he ran.

Thinking I might be too old for this, I ran after him trying to get to him before he got to whatever was making the noise. I failed.

As I caught up, there was James holding a straggly, whiny gray kitten. “Gram! He’s all alone! I bet he’s hungry!” The kitten actually purred. “You have to take him home!”

We brought him home, her, he was a she. James named her Parker. And by the way, James knew his mother was allergic to cats.

James is fourteen now. Parker and I have kept each other company for all this time. Who knew I could love a cat so very much. Apparently, James knew.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2277860-Apparently-James