*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2278605-The-Story--WC-249
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2278605
Daddy reads Dempsey his favorite bedtime story.
The Story

WC 249



"The End," I said and closed the book.

"Again, Daddy!"

"It's bedtime Dempsey. You have school tomorrow."

"Just one more time. Please?"

My son's blue saucer eyes tugged at my heart like his Mommy's always had.

"Okay, but this is it, kiddo."

I opened the book again to the beginning...

It was a perfect day for fishing. The clear blue lake was still; the sun was shining down on the old man as he peddled his bike down the rutty road to the pier...

Dempsey’s eyes were barely slits. I closed the book. His eyes popped open.

"Don’t forget the best part, Daddy."

I opened the book and thumbed to the last page.

He fished and fished and fished the day away, and never had a bite. Then suddenly, the old man saw the bobber disappear. He tugged on the line and reeled in his catch. Instead of a fish, there was a white feather on the end of the line...

"And that was his wife coming back from Heaven to say hi. Right?"

"Right, honey." I brushed away a tear and stood up. "The End," I said, and closed the book.

"Like Mommy does in our dreams. Right, Daddy?"

"Right, Dempsey,” I said, “But now it’s time to get some sleep.”

I tucked him in and kissed him on the forehead. "Night, kiddo. Sweet dreams."

"Night, Daddy. Don't let the bed bugs bite."

I said, "I won't," my voice cracking.

I closed my son's bedroom door and padded down the hall.
© Copyright 2022 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2278605-The-Story--WC-249