*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2279239-Learning
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2279239
Flash Fiction
Learning

Janice tiptoed down the stairs, each foot landing quietly on the step’s edge, lightly enough so there were no squeaks. She’d practiced this many times. She’d made it her mission to be able to get around the house silently. She was a master now, and at the young age of seven.

She slipped into the kitchen as silently as a silk scarf blowing in the wind. The light was never required, she knew exactly where everything was. She had to move a chair to reach her goal, she always chose the red chair in the corner because it was small, easily lifted even by a child. Plus, it never squeaked when she stood on it.

Tonight’s mission was the cookie jar on the counter. Just as she got up to the counter, and had her hand on the cookie jar cover, the light popped on, temporarily blinding her! She actually screamed!

“Janice, Janice, Janice,” a soft voice said, “How many times did you think you would get away with this?”

Janice looked over at her mother, sitting at the kitchen table, in her pajamas and robe, arms crossed. “I ah...” she said.

“You still have much to learn little one. First of all, always have a plausible answer to every possible question. Second, give your victim some credit. The cookie jar has lost cookies three nights in a row, I’m not stupid.”

“So I should have gone for a banana tonight? No, still the kitchen. You’d still be watching.”

“If you know you’re going to be hungry, take food up with you. You are doing well, but you still have a lot to learn if you’re really going to be a spy.”

“Actually,” Janice said, “I’ve changed my mind again. Now, I’m gonna join the circus!”

Mom cringed.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2279239-Learning