*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2279372-Where-will-you-be-in-the-next-20-years
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Business · #2279372
20 years since I graduated.
Being an older millennial I just realized it I was a Senior in High School 20 years ago. I graduated in 2003.
I've been thinking alot about the world I grew up in. My friends graduated or dropped out of HS to fight a war. A war that after 20 years of hard work, money and building relationships with the civilians....we just left one night like...peace out it's on you now.
Although I did not join the military, my hometown is filled with military influences and families. I remember sending out care packages of toothpaste and protein bars. There were a ton of things in the list you couldn't send
but I remember those being the most requested.
Technology wasn't like it is now so it would be long periods of time before we heard anything. The veterans came back (some of them) to a world where they suffered PTSD and we acted like this was some sort of new phenomenon that we didn't know how to deal with. So we gave them a shitty VA and often many turned to addictive substance abuse.
There were two areas in the US that were uncharted and that was drug companies and loan companies. Both incredibly difficult to navigate as a young adult. You think you can trust your banks and doctors, but no. They are all trying that get a bigger paycheck like the rest of us.
So that leads us into the 2008 recession due to these terrible housing loans. Still in a war, btw. Student loans? No better. Miss a payment from your poverty wage paycheck and you're a criminal.
Oh and the old generations are wondering why we are floundering. They did it all, no problem. And had time for a monthly block party with the neighbors.
Today, of course, costs everywhere are rising.
This was just the beginning of a long stretch of thing after thing that we as a whole would feel ripple effects from.
I've survived (as well as all of us reading this today) financial crisis, govt shutdowns,
a failed political system,epidemic, pandemic, human rights... The list goes on.

Currently, Inflation this time around has thrown a curve ball for our family as our savings dwindled during and post COVID. Sometimes my behaviors during these times of scacity could probably mimic my grandparents who were children in the Great Depression. (No stealing or siphoning gas though!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is...it's been a hell of a ride. I give myself credit as well as those around me. None of this factors in our personal obstacles.

Also, be kind. We're all fucking tired out here. This is not where I thought I'd be in 'the next 20 years', I definitely thought there would be a lot more people who survived to look forward to see at my Highschool reunion.
© Copyright 2022 C. Sykes (chessie123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2279372-Where-will-you-be-in-the-next-20-years