*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2279847-The-Truth
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Children's · #2279847
Two little boys, a Nanny, a chocolate and a couple of times when the truth had to be told.
Words: 299

“This is what really happened.”

Mrs. Shankar looked down sternly. "It would be easier to believe you, Rajiv, if you didn't have chocolate all over your face."

"But that's what I'm trying to tell you, Mrs. Shankar. I didn't eat the chocolate. I mean, I ate it, but I didn't mean to eat it. I mean ..."

"Rajiv, would you please admit that you took the chocolate without asking?"

"No, Mrs. Shankar. What really happened was that I didn't take the chocolate. I mean, I took it, but I didn't mean ..."

"RAJIV." The voice was growing more cold and the foot was tapping on the floor. The 7 year old knew there was no escape, no appealing to her love of him, no recourse to her softer side.

"I took the chocolate, Mrs. Shankar, without asking."

"And –"

"And it was delici -- I mean, and I'm sorry, Mrs. Shankar."

"Well, as long as you are really sorry ... Make sure you wash your face well."

Mrs. Shankar patted him on the head and walked out of the room. The little boy couldn't believe his luck. No scolding, no smack, no week's-ban-from-dessert.

Then, his face fell.

He turned. "HEY" he called out.

His buddy, hiding behind the curtains, peeped out. "Safe to come out?"

"Yeah, and gimme back my coloured stone."

"You gave it to me."

"I gave it to you because I was going to say that you made me eat the chocolate but I didn't need to, she didn't punish me anyway."

"Well, that's not my problem. You gave the coloured stone to me and I'm keeping it. You didn't say that if she didn't punish you I couldn't have it."

Biff
Bam
Wails

"Shhhhhh ... shhhh ... Mrs. Shankar is coming. Keep the stone, only tell her you hit me first, okay?"
© Copyright 2022 THANKFUL SONALI 17 WDC YEARS! (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2279847-The-Truth