*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2279910-TOM-CAT
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #2279910
How sweet this story is.
The cat stared up at me with only one eye. He meowed and he rubbed against my leg. His name is Tom, and he is fifteen years old. When he first came to me as a child, he was a bit wild. It took all my energy to keep up with him. He would jump and run knocking things over and then just lay down as if nothing happened. As we grew up together our friendship and love for each other grew. The story of how he lost his eye is a sad tale of bravery and love. One day Tom was in the backyard with me and as we played hide n seek a large dog entered my yard and began to growl. Walking towards me there was no where to run my legs seemed frozen. Tom made his way around me and stood there in front of me, He arched his back and gave a loud hiss saying back off dog.

The dog came closer and when he did Tom jumped on his head with claws out and the battle began. With the dog's attention elsewhere, it was an opportunity for me to run for the house. Being safe inside, the first thing was to find my dad then look out the window to see if Tom were okay. Staying inside while my dad went out to the backyard it seemed like forever until he returned. He walked into the living room with Tom lying limp in his arms. He laid him on the floor Tom was covered in blood and looked dead. My eyes began to water and falling upon the floor it took all my energy not to pick him up and hold him.

My dad wrapped Tom in a blanket, and we drove to the vet me crying all the way. Here was my friend hurting and me not knowing how to help him or even if he would survive. He had protected me and he had been so brave and my heart was broken. We took Tom inside to the vet and they carried him to the back room. We could not go with him. As we sat there my dad hugged me and told me Tom would be alright. We waited for a long time as least it seemed that way until the vet walked in holding Tom. Jumping out of my chair it took me only seconds to get to Tom.

Tom meowed and the vet told me that he would be okay. She told me that most of the blood on him came from the dog. He had lost his left eye because the dog had bit him there and it was gone. Other than that, he would be fine. That night as Tom lay beside me on my bed he purred and licked my hand. "You were a brave cat Tom and my best friend thank you." Tom is a brave and wonderful cat, our friendship and love for one another has only grown over the years. These days we spend our time in my little apartment and Tom is still my guardian cat. My love for him is never ending.
© Copyright 2022 Penelope Moonbeam (inkydinky33 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2279910-TOM-CAT