*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2280039-Saving-the-Day
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2280039
Flash Fiction
Saving the Day

I’d been working on my yard project all day long. At first I was just going to start, then getting a bit excited I kept going, now I knew I was close to a finishing place. A place where the hard work was almost done, and the fun parts could start. If I finished, I could get up tomorrow and just enjoy the fun part of the project, the planting.

However, I underestimated the time it would take to “just finish...” and it was getting dark. Though I was close, I would probably have to stop, too soon to actually finish.

Suddenly a cloud parted and behind it was the most magnificent full moon! It lit up the sky, and my backyard, as if it were daytime! I finished the project in minutes it seemed! I actually sat down and started sketching out my flower bed plan!

And then I woke up. I was laying at the end of the garden, which was not even close to that “almost done” place. I was covered with the plastic bag the mulch comes in, and had used a pile of dirt as a pillow. My hair had mud clumps in it. And the sun was high in the sky. I’d fallen asleep right there, in the dirt.

Just then, to add terror to misery, my mother’s car pulled into the driveway.

“Jane, honey! I came to help you!” she yelled, as she got out of the car. I wanted to crawl under the porch and die.

“And I brought lunch!”

Humm... on the other hand... she is a very good worker... And I promise myself, no more tequila before bed!!!

Ha... well, anyway, once again, and I’m sure not for the last time, Mom saved the day.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2280039-Saving-the-Day