*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2280095-Teacher-Vs-Mamma
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Mystery · #2280095
And the child in a Catch-22
"Teacher?"

"Yes, dear?"

Miss D'souza smiled down at the six-year-old standing by her desk. When the child hesitated, the teacher asked gently, "What is it? Why didn't you go for break?"

"I want you to help me, Teacher."

"Sure, dear. Anything I can do."

"You said if I eat good food, I'll grow big."

"Yes, indeed I did, dear."

"But my Mamma says I can't eat good food till I grow big."

"Your Mamma says ..."

"My Mamma says I can't order pizza by myself till I grow big. My Mamma says she'll keep the cookie jar way on the top shelf so I can't get it myself till I grow big."

"Ah, I see," the teacher nodded wisely.

"Now I'm wondering WHY Mamma doesn't want me to eat good food and grow big already."

"Yes, that's a mystery," the teacher agreed.

"Does she want me to stay small so that I'll be her baby forever? She always says I grow too fast and she wished I'd stay a baby."

"Well, that could be a clue to her reason."

"Or does she think I'll grow naughty when I get bigger? My brother is bigger than me and he's really naughty."

"So we have another suspect here, your brother ..."

"Teacher?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Don't you think pizza and cookies are the best foods?"

"I do indeed, dear."

"Then why can only grown-ups order them or reach them?"

"I don't know, dear, I don't know."

The child looked solemnly at the teacher. The teacher met those trusting eyes squarely, equally solemn.

"Maybe ..." the child began.

"Maybe?" the teacher encouraged.

"Maybe Mamma thinks carrots and potatoes and tomatoes and stuff are better food than pizza and cookies."

"Maybe she thinks that, yes."

"She makes a lot of that. And corn and stuff. And salad, with cucumbers and lettuce."

"Now you're making me hungry, dear."

"You are getting hungry listening to what my Mamma cooks?"

"Yes, I am."

"Why?"

"Because I like those foods."

"But you like pizza and cookies."

"I like pizza and cookies and carrots and lettuce and tomatoes and the rest of it. I like all vegetables. I like fruits, too."

"You mean those are good foods, too?"

"You bet they are, dear, you bet they are."

"And I'll grow big eating them as well?"

"You bet you will, dear, you bet you will."

The child thought for a bit. Then smiled.

"I know what, Teacher."

"What, dear?"

"I'll eat the tomatoes and carrots and beans and lettuce and everything nicely now and I'll grow really big and Mamma will be happy. THEN I can order the pizza and reach the cookies myself! I don't even need to tell her. You'll keep my secret, won't you?"

"I'll keep your secret when you're nice and big, dear. Now run along for break!"

© Copyright 2022 THANKful Sonali LOVES DAD (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2280095-Teacher-Vs-Mamma