*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2280351-Family-Traditions-Strike-A-Blow
Rated: 18+ · Prose · Family · #2280351
Anniversaries and a birthday.
Our family has a tradition. We are all to marry on the 22nd of May. The anniversary of our parent's wedding. It is supposed to strengthen the bonds of holy wedlock. And given the my brother and his wife and my own nuptials are sound. I tend to agree.

"That is just crazy?" my friend Galen said when I told him.

"Is it?" we both glanced over at my younger sister Bella.

Bella stood waiting for the kettle to boil while she held her daughter Isla on her hip. Isla played with Bella's hair as she whined about something. Bella looked ragged and worn as she ignored the whining that was rising in its insistence. It was barely noon. Out on the back porch we could hear her sons, Allen and Paul, squabbling about something only they could find to argue about.

"Bella moved back in with mom and dad last week. Seems she and David aren't doing well."

"That's too bad, but doesn't that mean this tradition of yours is bogus?"

I shook my head. "Bella married David on the 14th of March."

"Still..." Galen began.

"Anyone else married on the 22nd of May has had no such trouble. I'm not saying it's been a walk in the park, but... we've all held it together. Through thick and thin."

"Well, that's only three..."

I shook my head again, "Generations. On my dad's side of the family."

"So what's David done that's so bad?"

I pressed my lips together, then lowered my voice to make sure Bella didn't overhear, as I said, "he's been unfaithful.... and the woman is pregnant... due May 22nd."

"Holy...."

"Yep. So this year's festive anniversary party will be marred by the birth of some kid."

"Anniversaries and a birthday...."

"How crazy is that?"

"I'm thinking some fireworks are going to go off.... and not in a good way."

I nodded.

Word Count = 318.


Notes
© Copyright 2022 💙 Carly (carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2280351-Family-Traditions-Strike-A-Blow