*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2280418-Saturday-Night--WC-297
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2280418
First date. Last date?
Saturday Night
WC 297


Did you ever have your heart set on a sit-down dinner and a glass of fine wine and ended up in line at an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet with a soft drink dispenser at the very end?

Well, that's where I find myself this fine Saturday evening. I’m holding a plastic tray, transported back to my high school cafeteria days, or to prison, not that I've ever been.

My date has scooped a large portion of moo shoo pork onto his mountain of white rice. He is about to plop a scoop on top of my rice.

"Oh, no thank you, I'm fine."

I am vegan, but I don't want to embarrass him. He didn't listen earlier when I mentioned I don’t eat meat. I’m realizing he's one of those people that waits to say his next thing instead of listening.

We move along. His plate is piled high with every artery-clogging food in sight. I have selected healthier vegan items.

"Is that all you're gonna have? The price is $8.99 either way, honey."

Honey?

"I'm good," I say.

We’re almost to the end of the line. Ignoring the tongs, he reaches into the bowl of fortune cookies with his bare hand and plops a cookie onto my plate.

"This will bring you good luck," he says as he pinches my 68-year-old bottom. What 70-year-old man does that on a first date?

I’ve never called for an Uber before; there's always a first.


Later, alone in the back seat of the Uber, I break open the cookie and read the fortune: You have dodged a bullet; the night is still young.

The driver is 55ish and very, very appealing. I wonder if he’s married? Does he like older women? Is he vegan? If not, that isn’t necessarily a deal-breaker.


© Copyright 2022 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2280418-Saturday-Night--WC-297