*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2280721-Names
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2280721
Flash Fiction
Names

I pulled down the shade and closed the curtain. Nobody was coming. I’d been standing there in the dark for over an hour, hoping that Ted would come back.

We’d had a terrible argument. He thought I was flirting with Stanley. Can you imagine! Stanley’s was a Demplewiser. If we got married my name would be Alison Demplewiser! Ted’s last name was Williamsburg. Now that would be so lovely, Alison Williamsburg. A lot of good it would have done me, he started dating Sandra the next day. Not that I’m hurt, I didn’t like him all that much anyway, I just liked the name...

As I sat at my vanity, lost in thought, suddenly I heard a voice. There was no one in the room, just me and mirror me. But then she spoke.

‘You’re an idiot Alice!’

I thought I was going out of my mind! Mirror me was talking to me! Then, I realized I must be sleeping! ‘I am not! Why do you say that?’ I shot back.’

‘You are running our whole dating experience on our last name! You turned down Davey Palace just so nobody could call us Alice Palace for the rest of our life? Wouldn’t you rather be happy?’

I had to concede, mirror me had a point. I was being foolish, I still had a secret crush on Davey. But, I decided to stop the foolishness right then and there!”

“Let me ask you a question, why is it that why you married Phillip?” asked Dr. Pittaway.

“Well, Davey was already taken. I met Phillip the very next day!” The bell rang for the end of the session.

The nurse came in, “Shall I write in another appointment for Mrs. Wonderland?”

The doctor looked up, “I believe so, maybe a few more...”
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2280721-Names