*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2281226-Draft-2---All-Will-Be-Made-Known
Rated: E · Draft · Emotional · #2281226
A 2nd draft of a piece for Daily Flash Fiction challenge. Exploring topic and characters.
“I think sometimes the solution to our worries and doubts is simply to do something; it doesn’t really matter what it is.”

Marion sat down at the kitchen table, set her coffee cup down and without a thought straightened out the placemat in front of her, aligning it parallel to the table’s edge.

“There’s nothing worse than doing nothing,” she continued. “I mean, others always tell me that I do too much, that I need to take better care of myself, and I certainly make time for that,” - she stopped suddenly, and a look of subtle terror came over her face. She took a deep breath and continued her thought.

“Doing nothing,” she said, “is simultaneously the easiest out to take but the hardest burden to bear. It’s easy to quit; to stop. You can pretend you don’t care about making your life the best it can be, but I don’t believe anyone truly feels that way.”

Marion took another sip of her coffee as Lena thought carefully about what to say in response. Marion wasn't accusing her of anything, but it sure felt like that was what she was aiming for.

“You can’t be serious.” said Lena. “Your life and the way you go about your day makes me wonder if you truly know what it means to do nothing. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you rest."

Marion suddenly felt tense, for as much as she hated to hear this, she knew it was true.

"Even sitting here, having coffee with you." Lena continued. "Listening to the rain fall outside; you seem as tense as ever.”

Marion looked into her coffee cup and couldn't bring herself to look at Lena.

“...That’s not a very helpful thing to say, is it?”

Lena doubled down. “On the contrary, I think it’s exactly what you need to hear. Ever since you lost Dan in the accident, you haven’t been able to relax."

The room feel deadly silent, and her words hung in the dry air.

Lena heard what she had said, and felt that perhaps she should try a lighter approach.

"Jason, Lucy, me...we all understand, Marion, we really-”

Marion rose quickly to her feet in a rage.

“YOU understand nothing!” Marion fought back her tears as she tore into Lena. “I've come home to an empty house for 2 years now! Two years of dread, of silent dread, of being unable to be alone and comfortable in my own home!" Marion sat back down and tried to gain control of herself. But the words came out anyway. "Do you know how it feels to lose everything?”

Lena tenderly touched the area around her stomach and replied, “I know more than you think I do.”
© Copyright 2022 Ghelatlishol (ghelatlishol at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2281226-Draft-2---All-Will-Be-Made-Known