*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2282611-I-Hear-Your-Depression-is-Strong-LMFI
by bossco
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fanfiction · #2282611
Last time on Dragon Ball Z, Goku takes on his most terrifying foe, yet, the human mind!
Sunny’s day was meant to end as listlessly as it began.

Sleep.

Don’t bother with washing yourself.

Forget Trying to find food to eat,because there isn’t any.

And don't bother trying to make the floating demon thing go away because there isn’t a chance in hell.

Just...close your eyes...you'll be there soon-

An explosion breaches the front door, rocking the whole of Faraway. And Sunny.

His mind was not in the mood for Oyasumi at the moment.

He wonders,perhaps even hoped, that it was just another trick of the mind.

“HEEEY!SUNNY!” A nasally kind of voice called for him as a man with an orange gi and unaturally spiky hair TELEPORTED IN THE FUCKING ROOM.

“Hi there! My name’s Goku!” the space monkey greeted as he held out his beefy hand to shake.

Sunny became AFRAID. The boy’s atrophied body couldn’t run even if he wanted to.

“Not one for conversations, huh? You actually remind me of a couple friends of mine! They don’t talk much either,hehe~” he stuck his tongue out like he was the child in this scenario.

“So,uh, I wanted to cut to the chase...the reason I’m here is that...I’ve talked to your sister from the afterlife. She made a request.”

“M-m-mari?” Sunny squeezed out a response, his legs and his hands and his head feeling jittery.

This was it. Mari must have been so angry that she sent a spirit to punish him for his sins.

“She’s told me your depression has been worrying her,so she wanted me to fight it for you!”

The waterworks halted as Sunny took some time to process what he said.

“...wut..”

Sunny blinked owlishly.

“I said she told me your-”

“No I heard what you said but….why?”

The warrior puts his hand under his chin and adopts a thinking expression.

"Hm...why? Because...you're sort of in danger? Because your friend is danger? Because she's worried about you?"

"But...why? I killed her….I couldn’t keep up with her, at the recital...I pushed her down the stairs…she could’ve gone to college,and have those picnics we used to, and Hero...they could’ve gotten married…” he broke down again.

The 1 time he acted on his own and it took everything away from everyone.

It was all his fault.

It was his fault for letting his friends think he was capable of anything,

of being able to keep up with her perfect sister,

for pushing everyone apart and not taking responsibility for his actions.

Why did it have to be her?

Why couldn’t it have been the listless boy who was only good for-

“Sunny...I know what you’re thinking…”

He looked up to the warrior.

Strangely he sported somber understanding eyes.

“You’re thinking that you should’ve accounted for it somehow, or that you have to pay it back no matter the cost…

But that would never put your sister at ease.

She wanted all of you to be happy, and to move on with your lives with each other at your side...she wouldn’t stop begging King Yamma to allow her to interfere for years

...if you tried to pay yourself back the way I think you'd try...she’d just jump in after you.”

“But you never took anyone important away.”

“...actually,yes. I uh..I did.”

Sunny jerked his head upward.

This goofball? He didn’t look like-

No,wait, he blew down the doors and can teleport. He’d definitely be able to kill someone…

“Do you..mind me asking who?”

“Of course not...it was my grandpa...though it was just a bit different from how you did it.”

He sat himself down on the bed, motioning for Sunny to do the same.

“You see, back when I was..a lot younger than you, I used to live with my Grandpa Gohan in the mountains.He was a kind man, and the greatest martial artist the world had ever known!"

Goku described in detail about the peaceful life on Mt. Paozu.

The boy who previously would've shit himself if he had anything left to shit, found himself calming down and even enamored by the tranquil thoughts of nature.

"Then, one night...I got foolish and stepped out on a full moon. The thing about me is...well, when I was a kid, I'd turn into a giant ape every time I saw one."

"....h-how?" "That'll...take some time to explain, but thats not important. Grandpa Gohan had to try and put a stop to it,but,when I woke up the next day, he was...trampled."

Goku clasped his hands, deep in thought.

"...I didn't even understand what I'd done until years later. From that point, I've vowed to do right by him, so that when I see him again, he can tell me how proud he is! I bet that's what he wants, and I bet that's what Mari wants to! So, what do you say? Want to let me help you take the first step?"

He reaches out his hand again.

The boy felt something he hadn't in a while...the feeling of looking up to someone when at the end of the rope…coming to them when they needed help… Like...with Mari…

He never considered the idea that his sister wanted him to be happy again. Perhaps it was just a lie that his depression was able to convince him of. Either way that has to stop. He owes to everyone, to himself the most, to tell the truth. To live how Mari would've wanted him to.

And to let the space monkey pound that monochrome version fo him into oblivion.
© Copyright 2022 bossco (bossco15 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2282611-I-Hear-Your-Depression-is-Strong-LMFI