*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2282895-Thanks-Mom
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2282895
Flash Fiction
Thanks Mom

Walking to school, alone. Last year I took the bus but seventh grade is at Randel, three blocks from my house. Nobody else lives too close for the bus... well, nobody I know.

On top of the required walking, it just got cloudy quite fast, I’m only halfway there, no raincoat, no umbrella. My mother always tells me I think backwards. I get into a situation and then think of how I should have realized it was coming. She’s sure I’ll outgrow it...

As I feel the first icy drops hit me, suddenly an umbrella popped over my head! I actually screamed a little.

“Woah! Just trying to help you out,” a voice said, “Is that OK?”

I turn and there is the most adorable blond boy I have ever seen. Unfortunately, only three feet tall. I regain my composure. “Oh! Thank you! Who are you?”

“I’m Jimmy, we just moved in up the street.”

“Oh,” I say, “Shouldn’t you be going to Anderson School? You look like maybe a sixth grader?”

“Yes, but my brother took my backpack by mistake and he went in early to use the library. I need to go get it. Are you going to Randel School?”

“I am.”

“Good, can you show me where the library is?”

“It’s the least I can do for you keeping me dry!” Off we went.

Well, the romantic thing would be if his brother was a doll and walked me to school from then on. Didn’t happen.

But Jimmy and I got to be good friends. In our twenties we started a business together, “JimmyJane.” I let him go first, because he’s the brains of the company. However, I run things well, because I actually did learn to anticipate things before they got out of hand. Thanks Mom!
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2282895-Thanks-Mom