*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2283594-Howling-Lullabies
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Themi
Rated: E · Short Story · Ghost · #2283594
Short story written for a last-minute submission.
Howling Lullabies
"It's just the wind..."
As usual, Halloween, October 31 is a brisk day. Warmed by the sun with an air of chill in the breeze. It was getting to be late afternoon and all the children were arriving home to prepare for a night ahead with trick or treating and lots of candy. Even some spooks and scares. It is Halloween, and everyone expects a little bit of scare. Wind was particularly gusty this year and at times almost seemed to be howling. It is now 6:00 PM and all the little goblins, ghouls, ghosts, and creatures of the night are beginning to fill the streets.
"Are you guys ready for lots of candy?" Michael asked as he ran to catch up with his friends.
"Of course, we were all just talking about going over to the subdivision by the cemetery. They give out the most candy every year." Elizabeth replied.
"Yeah, that is right. You ar3e right. We should definitely go over there," answered Michael.
"I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone is dressed up as this year myself," said Nina.
"C'mon everybody let's get going before it gets any later," Elizabeth exclaimed.
The children set out to the neighborhood for trick or treating and gathering as much candy as they could. It was getting dark quickly and the children knew there were many stories of strange occurrences in the cemetery. There was no getting around it they would have to pass right by it on their way to and from. As they approached the cemetery Nina started to get anxious and nervous. Michael and Elizabeth also felt uneasy, but it is Halloween.
'Do you guys think we will see anything spooky at the cemetery tonight?" Nina asked.
"I do not know, but I am sure we will be fine." Answered Michael.
"I do not know either but surely you cannot believe all the stories going around town?" questioned Elizabeth.
"Well, I know this much, if anything comes after us, I am running." said Nina.
"Yeah, us too." said Michael.
Each of the children had heard stories of wispy black shadows and ghosts lingering about the cemetery, especially at night. As the stories go locals believe that they are lost souls confused. No one really knows for sure, but some are said to have witnessed strange things.
As the children approached the cemetery each grew more nervous as they were on foot. The air took a frightful chill as they neared the gates. The three walked speedily as they made the first pass by.
"I sure am glad we did not have any problems getting by the cemetery." said Elizabeth.
"Me too, I sure was getting anxious." replied Nina.
"Yeah, the chill in the air started to worry me a little. I thought it was unusually cold." said Michael.
"Yeah, me too." said both girls.
The children reached the first home on the street and excitedly rang the doorbell. They waited for someone to answer anticipating what kind of candy they might get first.
A woman answered the door as the children screeched, "Trick or treat."
She reached into a bowl and gave them each a small handful of candies.
"You kids be careful out here tonight and stay safe." she touted as they scurried off to the next house.
Fallen leaves were everywhere shades of brown, red, and yellow scattered about the ground. The trees still had plenty to fall as the ones already on the ground crunched under the feet of the little ones. As the children went from house to house, they met ghosts, skeletons, zombies, witches and more. All the children were excited and smiling as they each peered into their bags full of candy loot. The neighborhood was well lit, and darkness had fallen upon the town.
"I guess we better head back to our street you guys." said Elizabeth.
"You are right, it is getting late." said Nina.
"Okay, let us get going then," said Michael.
The three bustled off as they had filled their bags full of candy. Each was happy with the number of goodies they had scored. As they neared the cemetery the air once again seemed a bit colder. The children grew nervous as they approached the cemetery once again. Just as they neared the fence a black shadow whipped by.
"Did you see that?" asked Nina.
"Yes." said Elizabeth.
"Yeah," said Michael, "I saw it too."
"What do you think it was?" asked Nina.
"I do not know, but I am ready to get out of here, let's go." said Elizabeth.
"Yeah, we should hustle and get away from here. I did not like that." said Michael.
They neared the gates that entered the cemetery and suddenly they became paralyzed. Each of the children were frozen in fear as they saw several apparitions lingering about the graves. Suddenly a quick howling wind blew.
"What was that? Asked Elizabeth.
"It was just the wind." said Michael.
"C'mon, you guys this is scary let's get away from here before one of these ghosts tries to hurt us." said Nina.
"Let us walk calmly maybe they won't notice us." said Michael.
"Okay, but one false thing and I am out of here." said Elizabeth.
"Okay." said Nina.
Each of them moved slowly and kept their eyes on the cemetery. Winds began to whip and howl softly. The three noticed the howling sounded like a soft song and seemed to pacify the spirits. One by one the apparitions slowly began to dissipate and disappear. Then another black shadow whipped by and all three of the children ran wildly towards the street they lived on.
"Whew, that was close you guys." said Nina.
"Yes, it was." said Elizabeth.
"We are never going to tell anyone about this, you guys understand?" asked Michael.
They each agreed to keep quiet about what they had seen happening. The three said goodnight and went off to their respective homes. Nina was in her room and looked out the window but became frightened because an apparition was staring at her. She could not scream she was immobilized with fear. She tried to stay calm as she turned out the light and laid down hoping it would go away. Suddenly the howling lullaby of the wind steered the spirit away.

Written by: Tina Williams
October 13, 2022








© Copyright 2022 Themi (themis4014 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2283594-Howling-Lullabies