*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284275-A-Grandma-a-Sheriff-and-a-Shotgun
Rated: E · Monologue · Community · #2284275
A true experience that happened to my Grandma
The year was 1916, and my grandpa and grandma had just moved to a farm my grandpa had rented. It was about 120 acres and my grandpa got to work in the fall of planting a 30 acre field with winter wheat. Now, for those who don't know about farming, winter wheat is a special type of grain. You plant it in the late fall and it will remain dormant until the following spring, unless it's disturbed. After my granddad planted it the landlord told him the field wasn't part of the rented farmland. In effect, my grandpa was out the labor and cost.

Grandpa was livid, and wanted to go plow up the field, but, grandma stopped him.
" Don't you go on that field, Tommy, " She said. " We'll have nothing to do with it. "
What Grandpa didn't know was Grandma had already hatched her revenge. It came to pass the following June.

As it turned out, Grandma knew who would harvest the wheat. It was the local county sheriff. He had a threshing ring, consisting of his huge, steam powered threshing machine and several men in his employ. On the day of harvest the men drove up to grandma's front yard, and Grandma met them.
" What do you want? " She demanded.
" We're here to get water for our threshing machine. " They responded.
" That wheat doesn't belong to us and that water, " She pointed to the pump. " DOES !!! "
" NOW YOU ALL GET OFF OUR FARM !! "

The next farmhouse was five miles away, and the water wagon was horse drawn. It was going to take a long time to get to and from the field. The sheriff got wind of the trouble and drove up to the farm gate. Grandma met there with a shotgun.
" Now, Dorie, " He said as he laid a hand on the gate. " You aren't really going to shoot me are you ? "
" Just step through that gate and find out, you SOB ! " She hissed as she cocked the hammers back on the shotgun.
The sheriff backed off and got back in his car. They didn't get water from the next house either. It took them most of the day to get the wheat harvested.
If it happened today she would be arrested and jailed. But, back then people took care of disputes and the police didn't interfere. I'm not touting vigilantism, but sometimes people can work out solutions by themselves.
© Copyright 2022 parable (seniorcit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284275-A-Grandma-a-Sheriff-and-a-Shotgun