*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284338-Unrestful-Travel
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Paranormal · #2284338
Mortimer can see and hear ghosts and is pulled through time by one of them.
This was quite the predicament, Mortimer thought to himself, alone with his thoughts amongst the mountains. His day had started out normal, well no, normal not exactly right. It started much the same as every other day for the past year had startled, unnormal. One might even go as far, should go as far, as to describe it as paranormal. Mortimer could hear voices were none spoke, see vague figures in the distance were none stood. Most, just went on there way, caring not for the living.

Not all.

Mortimer had encountered one of the, "unrestful" ones, a couple months ago. It dragged him thought a nearby forest, before unconscious against a great big tree, his face, arms, and neck were cover in an array of scratches and cuts. It's vague, dark, lumbering, unreal shape was burned into his eyes. That and what it screamed out in it's rough, "Look what you did to me!"

"Look what you did to me!"

"Look what you did to me!"

"Look what you did to me!"

Nobody would listen to the cries of a fifteen year old, telling tales of ghosts. There was no doubt that Mortimer had been assaulted in some way, the evidence was practically carved all into his body, but there were no such things as ghosts. Still Mortimer insisted, and insisted, and insisted once more. They thought him traumatized, then delusional, then crazy. None of them understood, and none of them ever will.

That was around two months ago, and the ghosts have gone nowhere. Barnfield is surrounded in mountains and forest, meaning that people went missing all the time, an endless supply of horror for Mortimer. After the unrestful one, even the peaceful dead on their way were terror for him. Being a high school student who jumped at shadows and was scared of the dark was difficult, that coupled with the endless circulating rumors, and unasked for sympathy, made high school hell.

Or it would, if Mortimer did not already see the children of hell.

On the bus ride to Barnfield high school he could hear but not see a weeping child nearby. In the locker hallway several pairs of stomping, marching footsteps could be heard, accompanied by a piecing glow were eyes would be. In second period a tall blinding figure in the back right corner. And then at lunch came the unrestful one.

Mortimer hated school food with a passion, but often forgot to back his own lunch, meaning that on days such as this he had to walk to the nearest place to eat, then back while eating, all within thirty minutes. The minute the bell declaring the end of third period and begging of lunch rang he was off. Using the experience of past times he took this route, and it's many shortcuts. to make it to a small pizza place within ten minutes. He was so occupied with going fast he failed to notice several ghost. Only concerned with his prize.

Across the street, pizza in hand, Mortimer saw a figure looking back at him. It was tall and transparent, with great long fingers. Slowly it stumbled forward, reaching out. It stared at Mortimer with glowing red lights in place of eyes.

"Let me show you," it mumbled agitated.

"let me show you."

"Let me show you."

"Let me show you."

Fast he Mortimer ran, throwing the pizza to the floor, but no matter how hard he pushed himself it seemed to always be ten feet behind him, and it was closing the distance.

"Let me show you!" It bellowed in rage, it's eye lights turning darker with an apparent anger.

Then ten feet turned to nine, nine to eight, eight to seven, seven to six...

[NO, THIS STORY WILL NOT BE FINISHED. THIS IS AS FAR AS I FEEL LIKE GOING]
© Copyright 2022 MEISAME (meisame at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284338-Unrestful-Travel