*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284420-Karma
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2284420
Flash Fiction
Karma

“No, no. Don’t stop here. Nothing to see here. Continue on your way please,” came the voice somewhere beyond the crowd of people in front of me.

I couldn’t see anything except the backs of heads. But I had to get through them or be late for work, again. If it was a show, I wanted no part of it, unfortunately the crowd was thick. My choices were keep moving forward, or get stepped on.

Moving forward, I began to hear snickers, while still the voice, almost begging now. “Please, on your way. I’m fine, really.”

I was hooked. I had to see. Not that I had any choice being stuck in a moving crowd.

Finally getting close enough, I actually laughed out loud. It was a man dressed as a clown. Well, a wig and a colorful coat. However, a bit closer, I realized it was the owner of our company, Andrew Winkley.

As he saw me, he called frantically. “Doris! Please help me! My wife caught me in a lie and tied me to this post when I was drunk! I can’t get loose! I’ll do anything!”

Well, I’m no fool. I pulled off his wig and untied his hands from the door, he quickly said “Thanks, I owe you!” and bolted down the street.

I stood there a minute in shock. The crowd had dissipated as he ran off, I was still going to be late, and he was gone. I rushed to work, embarrassed, and didn’t tell anyone.

Later in the day, I got a notice from my supervisor, Mr. Grant, he’d given me two demerits for being late! And he was smiling. However, a tad later I unexpectedly got a better position, and a raise!

And now I was Mr. Grant’s boss... now that’s karma.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284420-Karma