*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284516-HOPE
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Teen · #2284516
sequel to "REBELLIOUS". read rebellious first or this won't make as much sense.
All I see is darkness. My senses become aware of something else too- I'm not breathing. Where AM I? I briefly remember jumping off the bridge but after that... Well I guess I blacked out. Am I dead?

My eyes search for a sign, a sign I'm alive. But no, to my disappointment, it seems I really AM dead. But what's this? There's a beeping sound. It's long and annoying. Why did I jump? WHY WHY??! My gift shouldn't have been wasted. Stupid, stupid, stupid! You idiot! Look what you did now! The darkness... it's welcoming me.

"Oh God, Megan! Please breathe! Please...."

I'm jolted awake by the sound of my name. Am I in the place for the dead? No... this darkness... feels different. The beeping sound intensifies. Ughhh. I realize that the darkness is dissipating.

"Megan? Is that you honey?"

"Grandma? Where am I? Wait... I AM DEAD! NO!"

"Easy there sweetie. You're not dead, but you're not exactly alive either. You're sort of in an in-between stage."
"Wait, but I'm not breathing. How is that possible?" I ask.


"Your soul doesn't breathe. That is something only your body and soul can do together. You took quite a hit, jumping from that bridge. Luckily some passerby saw your head pop up from the water. Bless his heart, he jumped in to save you."

"Wait... so I'm not dead? Then why can't I see anyone or hear anyone except you?"

"Your soul is in the in-between stage, as I said before. During this time, your body is healing. Seems your soul wanted to take a little trip while that was happening."

"Where is my body right now? Grandma? Why can't I see you anymore?"

"Megan, Megan. Your body is in the hospital. Your parents are crying over you. It's time for your soul to be reunited with your body. Don't want to give your parents a heart attack."

"Grandma, wait! I-"


"Sorry sweetie. I have to go now. But promise me this. Don't you ever take a risk like that again! You have a gift, use it."
"Grandma? Hello? Is anyone there?


From somewhere, I feel a force pushing me. It feels like a gust of wind is carrying me out of the darkness. The movement is too much for me. I close my eyes, hoping this is going to be over soon...

"Your daughter is in stable condition ma'am. She will be awake soon." The nurse says.

I'm blinded by the lights as I open my eyes. How long was I asleep? I try to stretch, but there's something holding my arm back. I glance at my arm. There's an IV stuck in my right arm. Strange. I didn't feel that before.

"Megan! Oh my God, honey, don't you EVER do that again! Do you hear me?"

"Sure Mom, I'm fine."
What does she think? I use my gift to read into her mind. What I find surprises me. I was expecting to find thoughts like "what was she thinking?" or "I always knew she was stupid". Instead, I found thoughts that were full of love and relief. Hm. Maybe I was too quick to judge them. They DO love me after all.


A few days later, I'm out of the hospital and back in school. Instead of everyone avoiding me, all my classmates were being really nice. I looked into their thoughts and found that they were worried about me as well. Who knew they cared about me that much? Maybe...maybe I DO have a purpose.
20 YEARS LATER


I sit here in my office, thinking about my near-death experience. My young, teenage self was very naive. I was foolish to think I didn't have a purpose. Everyone has a purpose in the world. Some just might have to look harder to find it.



© Copyright 2022 Ting Lee (abilibutti at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284516-HOPE