*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284707-Poke-Your-Eye-Out
Rated: E · Fiction · Political · #2284707
Tournament determines the Sports President.

"Like my armor." Jessica asked with a huge grin
"You're definite not inconspicuous." Johanna, her roommate replied.
"Then it's doing its job."
Jessica flaunted an oversized jersey with a mascot at the front. It was pink with xs for eyes and a protruding tongue.

"Poke your eye out," The voice at the door read the words on her t-shirt.
Both girls looked up to see Rachel at the head of the dorm room.
"You're practically a neon sign." Rachel grinned.
Jessica nodded while looking down. "Think it will grab their attention?"


Rachel stepped in the room dressed in full contrast to Jessica.
"No doubt, even I can't stop looking at it."
She wore black knee pads and elbow pads, a fitted grey jersey with matching leggings.

"Well, we're ready!" Jessica said turning to Johanna.
Johanna scrunched her face. "And I'm supposed to walk with you both to the campus general auditorium dressed like that? I don't think so."

Jessica and Rachel looked at each other than at Johanna.
"You can't be serious!" Rachel said in a mocking tone.
Remember when you had your accident, and we walked all the way to the dorm covering your bum
well now you repay us.

The two girls turned to leave the room in a huff.
"To think I was actually going to introduce you to Jason Graham." Jessica added

Johanna rushed to catch up with them. "Well calm down I was just pulling your legs.
You know how much I love you girls." She closed the door behind her.

The Graham college for Girls was the only Girl's school in the County of Berbice. Jason Graham was Principal Madhes' son. He visited on occasions like these to observe the college's events. The Graham Institute of Learning was known for being eccentric in its teaching methods, from 'no class days' to students having the power to choose their lecturers for specific classes. The administration prided itself on its unique approach to the curriculum. Though the outside world viewed the institute as a demented, outcast bunch not fit to hold the same stage as the upper-class schools.

"It is better to have children who succeed than to be liked because you follow the old rules of teaching." Principal Madhes said at the orientation meeting of students.
Not even the School Sport President elections was orthodox. Regular schools casted ballots but Graham's Hall had 'death matches' Last man standing becomes President of Sports and for the next year controls sports activity and the $500 a month personal stipend.

There were 5 rounds of these matches, Archery, Swimming, Basketball, Drumming, Dodgeball. 36 girls were nominated.
Today was the final round and Rachel and Jessica were in the batch of 16 girls who succeeded through the first 4 tests.

"I'm so glad I dropped out early" Johanna said as they walked across the field of the campus where the archery challenge was held.
"Dropped out?" Rachel retorted, "You shot a judge in the leg"
"He shouldn't have stood in front of my bow."
"I say again," Jessica chimed in "Some people shouldn't be given deadly weapons. You need serious help."
The girls laughed then a pause of silence.
"Do you remember the plan?" Johanna asked
"Of course, We do" Rachel and Jessica looked at each other.


As they entered the auditorium the roar of voices greeted them from all directions. The stands of spectators circled the open center.
It was like the colosseum.
"I told you we were late," Rachel nudged.
The girls jogged out to the center where about 10 other girls stood stretching and flexing their muscles, warming up
in preparation for the game.
Johanna took a seat on the lowest row in the stands surrounded by chanting girls, all cheering on their favorite contestant.

The Principal, Mrs. Mades Graham, came forward to the center of the girls.
"Today we will finally see who has the guts and grit to be our President of Sports,"
The crowd roared with cheer.

"Behind me," She pointed to the drums laying around the arena, "are obstacles and in the middle of the arena are the dodge balls."
The girls were stationed in a circle at the perimeter of the arena.

"Everyone! Ready... Set... Go!"

From the Perimeter most girls ran to the center, but Rachel and Jessica stayed behind. They had a plan. Before the games began both girls agreed that Rachel was best suited as Sport President. Jessica said she'd help Rachel reach that goal s a team.
With her attention catching clothing, shed draw everyone's attention to her, Rachel will sneak up and knock them out with dodge balls. Everyone would rush to the dodgeballs in the middle and most girls would be knocked out that way, so Rachel and Jessica stayed behind and hid using the obstacles.

From her position Jessica she could hear the girls shrill and scream as the battle created victims.
She peered from behind her drum and saw Rachel opposite her. She signaled to her.

Four girls were left in the center. Rachel used the obstacles as cover and sneaked behind them.

"HEY!" Jessica stood up and yelled demanding their attention.
One girl looked at her and immediately received a ball to the face. She was out.

The Girl that threw the ball turned to Jessica with another in her hand. She couldn't see Rachel behind her who had just wiped out two of her competitors.

She threw her ball at Jessica, who easily dodged it, and in retaliation Rachel instantly tagged her at the back of the head.

As the girl fell to the ground, the crowd roared. The tacticians were victorious. Rachel and Jessica hugged, and Rachel turned to the crowd in celebration.
Jessica looked down there was a ball laying at her foot. She looked at Rachel. There could only be one President and now was her chance to be the winner. She swung her foot and kicked the ball against Rachel's Knee.

The Crowd fell silent.
© Copyright 2022 ShagaBoom (philip.icu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284707-Poke-Your-Eye-Out