*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284756-What
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2284756
Flash Fiction
What

November, one more raking, and done! Fortunately, sunny, no wind, lovely.

I was almost finished, and near the shed, but had to tiptoe between some still blooming flowers. One spot, too narrow for the rake, I had to reach in and pull the leaves out. As the handful came out, there in my hand was a huge seed!

Not really being a wonderful gardener, I had no idea what it was a seed of, just big, though, I was kind of excited! Still, knew it was pretty late in the season for a seed.

Well, I thought, if I plant it, it might not survive, but if I don’t plant it, it definitely will not survive! Off I went for a spade.

Picking the spot was easy, such a big seed, it would need room. I picked a place where whatever it was could grow and thrive. Space, sun, and right where I could watch it from my kitchen window. It had almost become my new child!

As I was digging the hole, my daughter happened to walk by on her way to the shed. As she passed me she reached down and snapped up my beautiful seed!

“Honey!" I said, “That’s not a rock, it’s a seed!”

And she said, “I know, I’m sorry! I knew I’d lost it this morning but I was too busy to look for it then.”

Completely confused I said, “What?”

“My peach pit, from breakfast, I lost it this morning,” and she walked away with my beautiful seed... flinging it into the woods as she passed.

Then I heard my husband yell, “Hey! Why are you digging a hole in our lawn?”

As I caught sight of the wind picking up near my piles of leaves... I thought, 'What the crap just happened?'
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284756-What