*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284879-The-Book
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2284879
Flash Fiction
That Book

This is stupid, I’d thought, slamming the book down on my desk. The most unrealistic scenario I’d ever read, and I’ve read plenty of books. Wasted my money. Shelia did it! She convinced me that this was such a good book I had to read it!

I tried to get her to lend me her copy, but she wouldn’t let me take it. She wanted to read it again. Again? This piece of crap? Well, I asked then, is it on line? No, of course not yet.

So, I bought it. I knew she would ask me if I did, if I’d finally read it. She was a good friend, I didn’t want to disappoint her. Plus, she had gotten my interest up, she must have really liked it if she wanted to read it again right away.

Well, we must have very different taste in stories. This story was about a tower in the middle of a field. Right there I lost interest. I knew they would come up with something interesting in the tower, or about the tower, or something, but it was still a book about a tower in the middle of a field! I tossed the stupid book right in the wastebasket.

But then... I knew I would see Shelia soon enough and she knew I’d bought the book. So, I hauled it back out of the basket and told myself I’d just read a little every day and get through it.

That was last night about six. It’s now four am and I just finished it. I can’t believe it, I couldn’t put it down after the second chapter. I was reading all night, it was so darn good!

I’m supposed to be at work in a couple hours. Look whose stupid now...
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284879-The-Book