*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284951-The-Message
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2284951
Flash Fiction
The Message

I got home late, a traffic jam and there was no way to get out of it until it cleared. Suddenly noticing a blinking on the machine, I went to check the message. It was Dad, wishing me a great day, and telling me not to work so much, “Don’t make the mistakes I made. Working isn’t a life.” Easy to say Dad, I thought.

Donner, my dog, was apparently worried, about getting fed... I’d be worried too if that was the highlight of my day.

After I got him settled, the lights suddenly went out. My first panic, my computer. I had work to do! Rushing to check my charge, it suddenly dawned on me that I’d come home, and then worked more, every night this week.

Taking a deep breath, I realized I was acting just like my father during my childhood. Always working, and for what? To get a promotion, and then work more?

I glanced over at Donner, curled up on his doggie bed, no expectations. Why would he expect something that never had time to happen?

Lighting a candle, I went and found his harness, he was ecstatic! It was like Christmas morning and him, a five-year old! As we walked out the door, I caught sight of Dad’s picture, “Still love you Dad!” I said out loud.

By the time we got home the lights were back on. I felt good. Donner was happy, tired. I’d thought deeply about my situation and decided it was time to step back for a while. Try to get a life for myself, instead of a better promotion.

Remembering the message on the phone I went over and played it again. This time realizing, he was worried, and about me.

‘Got your message Dad!’ I thought, ‘Love you!’
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2284951-The-Message