*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285061-Roses-Beginning
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2285061
A creation for Love and Compassion
At the edge of an ancient forest, stood a mighty oak. This oak was very old, and over the many years, had grown tall, majestic and strong. The many birds, insects and living creatures of the forest, loved and cared for this mighty oak, so much so, they named They were given the name of Compassion. The reason was because, compassion is exactly what was given through out Their life, to and for, all other living beings.

One winter, by one of the many visiting birds, a special seed had been dropped at the base of Compassion's trunk. Compassion gave it no notice, as they were always dropping seeds. The first month there seemed to be no life from this new seed. The second month, Compassion began to feel something wrapping itself around Their roots, and saw a tiny green shoot growing from that seed. They watched over the new seed very carefully, for now They were quite intrigued. By the third month, They began to notice this tiny plant had grown quite a bit, sprouting many branches, lots of leaves, and it grew taller with each day. It wasn't long before red buds began emerging from the end of each of those branches. Compassion was so excited, for They had never been this close to another plant before. As the new plant continued to grow taller, They could feel more and more roots wrapping, and becoming intertwined, with Their own.

The more roots there were, the more Compassion felt a surprisingly deep comfort, especially as those roots held on tight. The plant continued growing incredibly fast, faster than any other plant They had ever seen before. By the fourth month, this new plant had grown half way up Their trunk. Their trunk could no longer be seen because of all this beautiful plant's foliage.

To Compassion's amazement, and surprise, something wonderful had also began happening. Through Their roots, They had found a way to speak with this new plant. They learned the new plant's name was Love. Love told Compassion They had come from a family of rose named Velvet Blood. A family considered very old, very rare, quite exotic, and beautiful. Love was one of only a few remaining roses of this type left in the world.

Within weeks the buds opened with the most prodigious, velvety, and beautiful burgundy roses. Compassion saw for the first time just how beautiful Love truly was. From that moment on, They did all They could to protect Love. When the deer tried to eat the, newly formed, delicate leaves, Compassion would kindly ask them to leave. When aphids threatened to destroy the new buds, Compassion called for ladybugs to clear them away. Love grew taller and taller still, all the while, continually wrapping Their self completely around and around Compassion's trunk, reaching all the way to the highest of Their branches. And so this went on for many years. A tremendous oak wrapped in an exotic, rare and beautiful rose.

A Gift


One of the many insects, an Oak Apple Wasp, having only a two year life span, would spend their short time with the same mighty oak on which it was born. The Oak Apple Wasp's birth was unique, and like no other. The parent wasp would lay its egg into a dormant oak leaf bud, with the chemical reaction between the newly inserted egg, and the newly forming leaf, a phenomenon began growing. Fully grown, it would end up looking like an apple, hence its name of oak apple gall. It would usually be beige in color when first formed, then with time, it would become darker and darker, most often ending up being totally black. The oak apple gall had a hard shell on the outside, and a light and airy substance on the inside. The larvae would grow at the core of the gall. Over many months, this larvae grew into a full adult, and when fully developed, it would eat its way out of the gall, finally emerging through a very tiny hole. The completion, and emergence of the adult wasp, would usually be in the months from May to July. The wasp would fly out, and begin the cycle once again.

As time went on, Love and Compassion spent their time together speaking to one another about every possible topic. Each intrigued with the other's thoughts. There was a love growing for one another, right from the start, and as time went on, this love only grew deeper. They were a beautiful site to behold, and their love had not gone unnoticed by all the other creatures around them. The Oak Apple Wasps, having been the closest, had been watching with much admiration. When it came time for the Queen of the Oak Apple Wasp to lay her egg, she gathered the other wasps, for she had an idea. What she proposed was presenting a special gift too Love and Compassion, which would end up being not only for themselves, but also for the many other creatures in their ancient woods. All agreed, and the queen began her quest.

First the Queen Oak Apple Was flew to one of Love's open roses and rolled in Their essence. She then gathered more essence from Compassion, liquid amber, rambutan, ladybug, and a monarch butterfly. Once done, she went onto one of Compassion's newly forming leaves, and inserted her egg. She then encased the precious larvae with all the essences she had previously gathered. When done, she flew down to the root base of Love and Compassion, and spoke her final words

“Dear Love and Compassion”, the queen began, "You have given so selflessly, as well as generously, to all other life around you, you have been true to your names. For this, we, the Oak Gall Wasps, have decided to give you a special gift in return.” She then proceeded to tell them of what she had done, and of the egg she had just laid on one of Compassion's new leafs.

Neither Love, or Compassion, could believe this wonderful news, and were moved by the gift which had been bestowed upon them. They both thanked the Queen profusely. The Queen, at the end of her life, then burrowed into their roots. They covered her with more tiny roots, and their she stayed for her final resting place.

Love and Compassion searched for, and found the branch, then the leaf where the gifted egg lay. They each began to cover the little treasured gift with more leaves, keeping it protected. They would protect this gift from birds, or just about anything that might possibly endanger this wonderful gift. Their joy and anticipation could hardly be contained.

The Gift Arrives


As time approached the expected day of the new arrival, excitement culminated and spread throughout the community. There was not one creature which did not hear the news of this precious gift, for this news had spread far and wide. Many, knowing the approximate time of the gifts arrival, had been staying close to Love and Compassion, all waiting for the special moment. From the time the egg had been laid, the gall began to grow, and had grown quite large. It had grown out of most of the shelter of the leaves it was covered with. All who looked upon the gall saw that, whatever was under the leaves, was about emerge, for it was moving quite a bit. Birds, insects, and creatures of all types gathered closer, each hoping to get a glimpse of this new being. At last, after many months, on June 21rst, the day of Summer Solstice, the time had arrived.

Suddenly, all went quite, and there was complete silence. Those who were close enough, watched as each leaf left wrapped around the gifted creature, began to fall one by one. When the last leaf fell, a head covered with the many colors of red, pink and orange glittery rose buds, lifted up. Next emerged Its arms, which were delicate little oak twigs, having hands of rambutans. It was a girl, and as she stood tall on her feet of liquid amber seeds. Many awes and oohs, were heard, for she was like no other they had ever seen, very stunning.

Love and Compassion watched as this elegant creature, stretched up her slender arms towards the skies. She stood quite tall, yet was a bit wobbly. She slowly opened her eyes, and her first sight was that of Love and Compassion. With wonder in her voice, she spoke, saying one simple word, “Hello”.

Compassion gently lifted the new arrival up with one of Their branches, and then set her down on one of Love's leaves. They both embraced their new gift and she them. Love spoke first saying, “Welcome to our wonderful world little one,we have been patiently waiting for you. I am Love and this is Compassion.”, as They pointed up. Many oak apple wasps were sitting on the surrounding branches. “You were created by the queen of the Oak Apple Wasps, with the essence from both, Compassion and I, as well as, liquid amber, rambutan, ladybug, and a monarch butterfly . You are their gift to us, and to this world.”

The new being looked at them both, then up to the many creatures surrounding her, and smiled. It was said that, when she smiled, the love flowing from this new being could be felt radiating throughout the entire land.

“I think we shall call you Rose, if you don't mind?” as Love looked at the new arrival, and then, too, Compassion. “What a beautiful name.”, they both replied. And so it was that Rose had her name.

As time went on, many came to visit play with Rose. She loved everyone and everything in her new world. She also was dearly loved by all. As she grew, she became quite fearless, learning to run, jump, and unafraid of exploring the many wonders of her new world. The Oak Apple Wasps could see how nice it might be for Rose to have companions similar to herself, and so they began to gather pollen or essence from the many surrounding flowers, trees and creatures. There were many different types of flowers, trees, birds, even other insects to gather from, so they got busy collecting as many as possible. They would then find a new budding leaf on one of Compassion's branches, lay their eggs, cover each with whatever essence they had gathered, and wait for the new beings to be born sometime in June or July. Once born, Compassion, once again, would then set the new arrival on one of Love's flowers, and Love would then bestow a name on the new arrival. Many would be there to greet the new arrivals, each excited to welcome these beings into their new world. A ceremony would began after the naming, Rose would stand on Compassion's tallest branch, and tell the story of her own arrival, the reason why she came to be, and how the apple gall community was born.

It had all begun from Love and Compassion.
© Copyright 2022 Dragonfly (bjwray at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285061-Roses-Beginning