*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285068-Sports-Night
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2285068
Flash Fiction
Sports Night

‘I shot an arrow in the air...’ I thought, pulling back on the string. Do they call it a string? Probably not, there’s probably some fancy name for it.

I just wanted to try it. My brother seems to think I’m uselessly un-athletic. He’s right, but a bow and arrow, that’s not really a sport is it? I always think of sports involving teams, and running, and sweating, and having to get along with people just because your parents signed you up for the same team... I bet Robin Hood never got told to “Play nice!”

So, Ronny was at the game and both our parents went because he was pitching. Nobody was surprised I didn’t go. My brother’s right, I am uselessly un-athletic, even to the point of not wanting to watch it... but I did want to try this bow.

I lifted the bow and pointed my arrow toward the orange tree, with no expectations. I probably couldn’t hit a leaf in the tree, but I just wanted to try. And nobody was home.

I’d watched Ronny, I knew what to do. I pulled back the stringy part holding the top of the arrow, aimed right at an orange growing near the top, and released it! I hit the orange!

But my arrow got stuck... in the orange, just as my parents drove in the driveway. I flung the bow in the weeds, they didn’t see anything.

So... now it’s midnight. I’ve been stuck up in this apple tree for an hour trying to decide who to call. My parents would ground me, Ronny would laugh, till he finds out I broke his bow when I threw it. And now add, it’s starting to rain...

I hate sports. And I’m not very fond of oranges right now either.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285068-Sports-Night