*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285196-Yes
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2285196
Flash Fiction
Yes

Finally, home, after a yukky day at work, and as I put my key into the lock on the door, I heard a crash.

It wasn’t a big crash, but only my cat should be in the house, so I was a little hesitant to turn the key.

If there was a burglar in my house, I certainly didn’t want to walk in on him... or her...? My car is parked in a place where anyone in my house wouldn’t actually see it. I’m pretty quiet walking up to the house. The key doesn’t make much noise, I hadn’t even turned it yet. And at this time of day, unless you were looking intensely, you wouldn’t see someone at the door through my curtains.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t see anything through them either, looking in, unless they moved. I stood there like a statue for minutes, nothing moved. Of course, if it were a burglar they could have walked out of that room after the crash, and before I was looking.

Paranoia set in. I slowly turned and walked back to where my car was, out of sight. I called the police. They came in minutes!

They parked quietly behind me, as I had told them to, and took my key, then went up to the door. I had to lag behind, for safety reasons. They quietly opened the door and went in.

A few minutes later, they came out, smiling. No burglar, but they were sure my cat needed a drink. They laughed their way to their car and drove off.

I’d forgotten to put his water dish on the floor. It was on the floor now, in pieces. Could this day get any worse? I thought as I stubbed my toe on the threshold.

Apparently, the answer was yes.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285196-Yes