*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285273-Stepping-Up
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2285273
Flash Fiction
Stepping Up

“So,” Dr. Reynolds said, “What brings you here?”

I’m having trouble sleeping.”

“I see, not your usual?

“No, and there are other things.”

“Like what?” the doctor asked, more interested now.

I forget a lot. I used to have a very good memory, now I often can’t remember what I was doing.”

“Yes, well many people have memory issues, especially when there is a trauma in their life. Have you had any difficult things happen in your life recently?”

“Well, I guess so...”

“Tell me, what happened.”

“It was a car on the wrong side of the street. The driver apparently had a stroke. They saved him though, and he seems to be recovering well. I check on him every day.”

“It was someone you knew?” he asked, surprised.

“No. I just want to make sure he’s OK.”

“Oh, you visit him every day though you don’t even know him?”

“Yes, somehow I feel connected to him.”

“Well, back to your issues... Do you have any other symptoms beyond trouble sleeping, and the forgetfulness?”

“Well, I often find myself in places I want to be, but have no recollection as to how I got there.”

Startled at this, the doctor asked, “Do you mean you think you forgot, or went there unconsciously?”

“I’m not sure. I think of something, or someone, and suddenly I’m there, where I was thinking about.”

“Ah...” the doctor looked up from his notes, but the chair was now empty. Rushing to the front office, he asked his secretary, “Did Mrs. Lang leave?”

“Oh, I’m sorry!” the secretary said, “I forgot to tell you, Mrs. Lang was hit by a car on Friday, she didn’t survive.”

The startled doctor was never the same, though he was a much better doctor for the rest of his life.
© Copyright 2022 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2285273-Stepping-Up